cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Folders and Synching

Updates I make to my Documents folder don't sync to Dropbox.

pfgoergen
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Trying to understand how Dropbox should work. I'm using Win10.

I typically save all my documents in my c:\Users\xxxxx\Documents folder. 

When I attempt to sync my documents by using the web app "https://www.dropbox.com/home", and select "Upload or Drop"  my Documents folder, I see in File Manager that Dropbox creates a copy in Dropbox/Documents.

When I make a change to my c:\Users\xxxxx\Documents folder, those changes are not reflected in the Dropbox/Documents folder.

I suspect I'm doing something wrong or misunderstanding how Dropbox should work. Enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PFG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nancy wrote:

If yes, then you can follow these steps to use our Dropbox Backup feature.

If the intent is to just sync the Documents folder then it's probably better to just use the option built in to Windows to move the folder into the Dropbox folder. It accomplishes the same thing as the "Backup" option and if they start using the legacy Backup option now and then later get upgraded to Dropbox Beta, their files will be moved out of the regular Dropbox folder structure and into the Backup area.

IMHO

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pfgoergen wrote:

When I make a change to my c:\Users\xxxxx\Documents folder, those changes are not reflected in the Dropbox/Documents folder.

That's not how Dropbox works. The intent is that you MOVE your files into the local Dropbox folder on your computer and work on them there. Dropbox will only sync the files located in your local Dropbox folder.

If you want to move your entire Documents folder, you'll need to use the feature in Windows that allows you to pick a new location for key folders, such as Documents.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pfgoergen, and sorry to jump in. 

To clarify, do you wish to back up your entire Documents folder with Dropbox, so that any updates you make are automatically saved to your Dropbox account? 

What’s happening at the moment is that you have two separate Documents folders (the original one on your computer and the one you’ve manually uploaded to your Dropbox account, and then synced to your desktop app), but these two are totally separate and not linked in any way.

Hope that makes sense and I’ll be here for anything else.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Nancy wrote:

If the intent is to just sync the Documents folder then it's probably better to just use the option built in to Windows to move the folder into the Dropbox folder. It accomplishes the same thing as the "Backup" option and if they start using the legacy Backup option now and then later get upgraded to Dropbox Beta, their files will be moved out of the regular Dropbox folder structure and into the Backup area.

IMHO

pfgoergen
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@Nancy wrote:

IMHO

Rich, that makes sense.

Just to clarify, I will:

- delete Dropbox\Documents

- move c:\Users\xxxxx\Documents folder to Dropbox\

- use Windows to indicate \Dropbox\Documents is my default documents folder

I imagine I'll then need to revise any shortcuts, icons, etc. to point to Dropbox\Documents.

Sound right?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Just to clarify, I will:

- delete Dropbox\Documents

- move c:\Users\xxxxx\Documents folder to Dropbox\

If you already have a Documents folder in Dropbox and that's the folder you want to use, then just use the Location option in Windows (that I linked to previously) to specify that folder as the location for Documents. After you click either Ok or Apply you'll get a prompt asking if you want to move your files from the old location to the new location. If you have files in the old location, answer Yes. If not, answer No. You can also answer No and move files yourself if you want.

Just an example. I didn't move Documents to Dropbox because I already have a Documents folder there.Just an example. I didn't move Documents to Dropbox because I already have a Documents folder there.

pfgoergen
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, Rich.

This worked fine & I now better understand how Dropbox works.

Pete

Need more support?