Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated July 13th see more

Access Token not found error on delta call after authorization

2 Comments
1 Kudo
Level 1

Access Token not found error on delta call after authorization

I have a rails app that hooks into dropbox. I'm currently attempting to make a delta call, but I continuously have a Access token not found.: {"error": "Access token not found."} which is an OAuth2::Error from the oauth2 gem.

The image below shows my request and response:

a) is the request formatted correctly? The app was working before, but I hadn't touched it in 3 months, and then it stopped. Things like the urls for the api endpoints changed, so I've been bringing it up to speed. It seems as if the authorize callback and /oauth/token calls go through smoothly. It just stops here.

b) if it is correct, any thoughts? I've revoked user access to the app many times, and I don't have an old access_token stored anywhere and I do get a new one when i re-register the app. I haven't tried the disable access token endpoint yet, but I will after letting this post linger

2 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Access Token not found error on delta call after authorization

You're using Dropbox API v1, a.k.a. the Core API. API v1 supports both OAuth 1 and OAuth 2. You seem to be mixing OAuth 1 and OAuth 2, but you're only supposed to use one or the other for any particular API call.

I.e., the "access_token" parameter and the "Authorization" header are ways to supply an OAuth 2 access token. The other "oauth_*" parameters are used for OAuth 1.

You should only use one of these methods at a time. We recommend using the Authorization header to pass an OAuth 2 access token. If you use that, you can get rid of the URL parameters.

Level 1

Re: Access Token not found error on delta call after authorization

I see my mistake. I tested it with a REST firefox plugin and both worked very well. The mistake is on my end.

In fact, if I give both the Authorization header and parameters, but with more than the needed parameters (my gem keeps inserting a "oauth_token" on top of the "access_token" for v1) then the error is

{"error": "Access token not found."

But if I include just what's necessary, but both of them still, I get this

{"error": "Cannot specify both an \"Authorization\" header and the URL/POST parameter \"access_token\"."}

So the errors are very helpful. I was just stuck on the first, never seeing the second. Hope this helps someone else too. Thanks Gregory!

API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.