cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Access file(xlsx) data programmatically

Access file(xlsx) data programmatically

anton_oas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What I want to do is acess data from an .xlsx-file stored inside my dropbox with the help of some javascript and then use that data inside a graph displayed on a website. 

What I have done so far is to use the Dropbox API to gain access to a SharedLink. This makes it possible for me to access the file manually when I click the link but I get errors when I try to access the xlsx-data with javascript from that link because it cant recognize it as en xlsx when in the preview format provided by the SharedLink.

Is there a way to get a direct link to the file without having to download it the way dl.dropbox.com/..... does or can I access the data in another way?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, if you're not already, we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 JavaScript SDK.

Using that, if you want to directly access file data, the standard way to do so is using the filesDownload method. You can access the resulting file data via the 'fileBlob' field on the returned object, the same as shown in this example.

Or, if you need a URL directly to the file on the Dropbox servers, you can instead use the filesGetTemporaryLink method. The resulting FilesGetTemporaryLinkResult.link will be a temporary direct link to the file data on Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, if you're not already, we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 JavaScript SDK.

Using that, if you want to directly access file data, the standard way to do so is using the filesDownload method. You can access the resulting file data via the 'fileBlob' field on the returned object, the same as shown in this example.

Or, if you need a URL directly to the file on the Dropbox servers, you can instead use the filesGetTemporaryLink method. The resulting FilesGetTemporaryLinkResult.link will be a temporary direct link to the file data on Dropbox.

Need more support?