cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Alamofire compilation errors after installing the SwiftyDropbox in Xcode project with CocoaPods

Alamofire compilation errors after installing the SwiftyDropbox in Xcode project with CocoaPods

ShiminCai
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

Since the Dropbox API V1 has been turned off, the file download and upload in all our apps are not working any more. I'm now migrating to the API V2 and using Xcode 8.3.3 and Swift.

I followed the instructions here: https://github.com/dropbox/SwiftyDropbox#get-started and successfully installed the SwiftyDropbox and its dependency Alamofire:

Analyzing dependencies

Downloading dependencies

Installing Alamofire (3.5.1)

Using ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS (10.2.5)

Using SVProgressHUD (2.2.1)

Installing SwiftyDropbox (3.3.1)

Generating Pods project

Integrating client project

Sending stats

Pod installation complete! There are 3 dependencies from the Podfile and 4 total pods installed.

My podfile looks like this:

# Uncomment this line to define a global platform for your project

source 'https://github.com/CocoaPods/Specs.git'

platform :ios, '8.0'

target 'FCMapApp' do

# comment this line if you're not using Swift and don't want to use dynamic frameworks'

use_frameworks!

# Pods for FCMapApp

# pod 'Dropbox-iOS-SDK'

#pod 'Alamofire'

pod 'SwiftyDropbox'

pod 'SVProgressHUD', :git => 'https://github.com/SVProgressHUD/SVProgressHUD.git'

pod 'ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS', '10.2.5'

target 'FCMapAppTests' do

inherit! :search_paths

# Pods for testing

end

end

But when I tried to build the project I got 267 Alamofire-related Swift compiler errors!!! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance.

Shimin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks! That looks like a bug in SwiftyDropbox v4.2.0 when using Xcode 8. We'll look into it. In the meantime, you can use v4.1.2, by specifying it in your Podfile like:

pod 'SwiftyDropbox' => '4.1.2'

Then, do a `pod update`.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Shimin, did you have Xcode try to convert the version of Swift code for the pods by any chance? The pods currently use Swift 3 and the code shouldn't be modified. If you did have Xcode modify them, uninstall and re-install them to get clean versions.

Otherwise, can you share the errors you're getting so we can take a look? Thanks in advance!

By the way, if you need more time to migrate your app to API v2, we can offer an extension for access to API v1. To request that, please open an API ticket with the relevant app key(s):

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

ShiminCai
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

I replied the eamil sent to me from Dropbox Forum with the error info and steps of how I generated the errors. Did you get that email? Or do I need to put the info in this thread?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Shimin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ShiminCai I don't believe replying to the notification email sends the content anywhere I can access it. Please post the information in the thread here. (If you need to share it privately for some reason, you can open an API ticket here instead.)

ShiminCai
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry I did not know that.

My development environment is Xcode 8.3.3, Swift 3.1 and CocoaPods 1.4.0.beta.1.

The project is a currently deployed enterprise app which uses pod 'Dropbox-iOS-SDK' (Dropbox api v1) to enable file download and upload. Building the project now does not generate any compilation errors.

Change the Podfile to install pod 'SwiftyDropbox'. The "pod install" removes Dropbox-iOS-SDK and installs

Alamofire (3.5.1) and SwiftyDropbox (3.3.1). The Terminal output is as below:

Last login: Fri Oct  6 08:44:21 on console

fcl1611-9syvsc2:~ shiminc$ cd projects

fcl1611-9syvsc2:projects shiminc$ cd fcmapapp2

fcl1611-9syvsc2:fcmapapp2 shiminc$ pod --version

1.4.0.beta.1

fcl1611-9syvsc2:fcmapapp2 shiminc$ pod install

Analyzing dependencies

Removing Dropbox-iOS-SDK

Downloading dependencies

Installing Alamofire (3.5.1)

Using SVProgressHUD (2.1.2)

Installing SwiftyDropbox (3.3.1)

Generating Pods project

Sending stats

Pod installation complete! There are 3 dependencies from the Podfile and 4 total pods installed.

[!] The `FCMapApp [Debug]` target overrides the `ALWAYS_EMBED_SWIFT_STANDARD_LIBRARIES` build setting defined in `Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-FCMapApp/Pods-FCMapApp.debug.xcconfig'. This can lead to problems with the CocoaPods installation

- Use the `$(inherited)` flag, or

- Remove the build settings from the target.

[!] The `FCMapApp [Release]` target overrides the `ALWAYS_EMBED_SWIFT_STANDARD_LIBRARIES` build setting defined in `Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-FCMapApp/Pods-FCMapApp.release.xcconfig'. This can lead to problems with the CocoaPods installation

fcl1611-9syvsc2:fcmapapp2 shiminc$

The 'pod update' runs ok and the Terminal output:

fcl1611-9syvsc2:fcmapapp2 shiminc$ pod update

Update all pods

Updating local specs repositories

$ /usr/bin/git -C /Users/shiminc/.cocoapods/repos/master fetch origin

--progress

remote: Counting objects: 1683, done.        

remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1016/1016), done.        

remote: Total 1683 (delta 1101), reused 1159 (delta 586), pack-reused 0        

Receiving objects: 100% (1683/1683), 187.06 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (1101/1101), completed with 351 local objects.

From https://github.com/CocoaPods/Specs

77c312d3207..032e4c6e436  master     -> origin/master

$ /usr/bin/git -C /Users/shiminc/.cocoapods/repos/master rev-parse

--abbrev-ref HEAD

master

$ /usr/bin/git -C /Users/shiminc/.cocoapods/repos/master reset --hard

origin/master

HEAD is now at 032e4c6e436 [Add] Yams 0.3.7

Analyzing dependencies

Pre-downloading: `SVProgressHUD` from `https://github.com/SVProgressHUD/SVProgressHUD.git`

Downloading dependencies

Using Alamofire (3.5.1)

Installing SVProgressHUD 2.2.1 (was 2.1.2)

Using SwiftyDropbox (3.3.1)

Generating Pods project

Sending stats

[!] The `FCMapApp [Debug]` target overrides the `ALWAYS_EMBED_SWIFT_STANDARD_LIBRARIES` build setting defined in `Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-FCMapApp/Pods-FCMapApp.debug.xcconfig'. This can lead to problems with the CocoaPods installation

[!] The `FCMapApp [Release]` target overrides the `ALWAYS_EMBED_SWIFT_STANDARD_LIBRARIES` build setting defined in `Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-FCMapApp/Pods-FCMapApp.release.xcconfig'. This can lead to problems with the CocoaPods installation

fcl1611-9syvsc2:fcmapapp2 shiminc$

Now building the project generates 267 compilation errors that are related to Alamofire:

CompilationErrors.png

I also tried to open the project in Xcode 9 and had the same problems.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,

Shimin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It looks like you're getting an old version of SwiftyDropbox (3.3.1) and consequently an old version of Alamofire (3.5.1). You should be getting 4.2.0 and 4.4.0, respectively.

It's not clear why you're getting the old versions though. Can you try the following?

pod cache clean --all
pod repo update
pod update

ShiminCai
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

Your reply helped figure out why I was getting old versions of SwityDropbox and Alamofire. It is the deployment platform specification in the Podfile. It was platform :ios, '8.0'. After changed it to platform :ios, '9.0', I now got the SwiftDropbox 4.2.0 and Alamofire 4.4.0, and all 267 Alamofire-related compilation errors are gone. Thank you.

However, I'm still getting a compilation error about SwiftyDropbox as shown below:

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 10.43.23 am.png 

Cheers,

Shimin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks! That looks like a bug in SwiftyDropbox v4.2.0 when using Xcode 8. We'll look into it. In the meantime, you can use v4.1.2, by specifying it in your Podfile like:

pod 'SwiftyDropbox' => '4.1.2'

Then, do a `pod update`.

ShiminCai
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

That resolved the SDK compilation error. Many thanks.

Now it's up to me to migrate my code to V2. Our Dropbox implementation is very basic: We put files in the Dropbox app folder. A list of those files is presented to users in the app and users tap a file to download it to the app. There is no interaction between users and Dropbox such as user sign-in, etc.  I would appreciate it much if any guide regarding how to migrate this is available...  

Cheers,

Shimin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ShiminCai We don't have a migration guide for moving between these SDKs in particular. I recommend just reading through the readme for SwiftyDropbox, which covers the different kinds of calls, to see how each piece should be implemented.

Need more support?