cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android ACTION_GET_CONTENT from Dropbox sources

Android ACTION_GET_CONTENT from Dropbox sources

Andhie W.
New member | Level 1

Device OS: Lollipop 5.0

When using the Intent ACTION_GET_CONTENT and selecting Dropbox from the Storage Provider, Dropbox prompts a file picker dialog to choose from. The result obtained in onActivityResult is something like

file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/u6763728/scratch/Camera%20Uploads/2012-04-02%2012.34.44.jpg

The requesting app will not have read permission as its dropbox own private directory even with WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. In KitKat, it is recommended to use FileProvider to share a file via a content:// uri

26 Replies 26

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback Josh. I don't have an update on this unfortunately, but I'll send along your feedback as well.

Chun Yeen M.
New member | Level 2

I'm writing a new app and bump into the same issue here. Please support `content://` URI for the same reasons mentioned by posters above. It is an extra unnecessary unsafe permission viewed from user's perspective.

Fix this please?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sending it along to the team.

Anton S.7
New member | Level 1

+1, have the same issue. It was acceptable prior to Marshmallow (but not ideal of course) but now it looks like I just have to ask users my users for READ permissions just to be able to read files returned by Dropbox... 

Andy H.31
New member | Level 1

+1 for supporting 'content://' since I'm getting mixed bug reports, where our import feature works on some devices but not others.

So this problem is bad especially because the results are inconsistent...

Chun Yeen M.
New member | Level 2
It has been half a year since... any updates on this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, unfortunately I don't have an update on this.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Chun Yeen M. New member | Level 2
    Andy H.31 New member | Level 1
    Anton S.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?