cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Android - Save file URL using file chooser

Android - Save file URL using file chooser

alexsajno
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I used the File Chooser in Android Studio because it was difficult for me to do the login and use the download methods. I used file choosed with direct link ans after receiving the uri I converted it to URL and download the file. I want to keep some URL in shared preferences to download the file in the future without eneter the file chooser again. The problem is that the direct link expires in 4 hours and the preview link is not helpful in this case because I am downloading the file automatically and importing some data. So I don't want the preview stuff. Some idea?? I can try also the login and download method if there is a way to save the file location but there are some bugs in my code because of version V2. So I prefer the first way which worked for me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you need non-temporary links, but also need to download from them programmatically, you can use the "preview" links, but modify them as documented here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/force-download

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you need non-temporary links, but also need to download from them programmatically, you can use the "preview" links, but modify them as documented here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/force-download

alexsajno
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
But these link is permanent? It means I can use same link next month???

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The preview links don't expire on their own, though they can be revoked by the user. So, as long as the user doesn't disable the link, or delete the file, yes, you'd still be able to use them after an arbitrary amount of time.

alexsajno
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Okay but I am the user. I should creat a link for every file and then use the file chooser? or the link is created automatically by the app?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When using the Dropbox Chooser, Dropbox will automatically create the link to the file when the user chooses the file. The user does not need to go to Dropbox to create the link themnselves first.

Need more support?