cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create a shared link that requires login?

Can I create a shared link that requires login?

tormodvm
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I'm attempting to programmatically create a list of a shared folders content, with links attached to each file.  Each link should point to the file on dropbox, where the user would have to log in and, if they have access to the file, be able to view and edit it.

After reading the docs, I thought I could achieve this with create_shared_link_with_settings using the audience: no_one option, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The docs read:

no_one  The link can be used by no one. The link merely points the user to the content, and does not grant additional rights to the user. Members of the content who use this link can only access the content with their pre-existing access rights.

Have I misunderstood? Can I archieve this some other way?
I have a normal user account, not teams.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! Just to clarify, when you say you "can't seem to get it to work", what specifically fails, and with what error message?

There may be an issue on our side with this so we'll be happy to look into it, but I'd like to make sure I know exactly what isn't working for you and how first. Thanks in advance.

tormodvm
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for answering.
I can create a shared link with the http api through curl.
If I try to include the audience: no_one setting, I get this error summary.

"error_summary": "settings_error/invalid_settings/"

Does it work for you?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for confirming that! I just tried it and got the same behavior. I'll look into this and follow up here once I have an update for you.

tormodvm
Explorer | Level 4

Any news on this issue? Fingers crossed. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I don't have an official update on this yet unfortunately. I'll let you know once I do.

(For reference though, it sounds like this unfortunately is not currently meant for use like this. I.e., `no_one` isn't meant for use with the /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings endpoint, and is only listed for it because the `LinkAudience` object itself is shared with other endpoints. This is still open with the team, but it looks like there currently aren't plans to implement it.)

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Update: using the /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings endpoint to create a link with the "no_one" audience should work now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    tormodvm Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?