cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can dropbox replace existing FTP process

Can dropbox replace existing FTP process

dbagadia
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

We are currently using FTP to share file with external vendor. The file is generated via scheduled batch job and placed in the FTP location for external vendor to download and process it further. We have Dropbox for Business - Advanced subscription. We are currently in the process to determine if we need FTP server on an on-going basis. 

Please advise if we can achieve this file sharing with external vendor using Dropbox. If yes, then will vendor also have to make any changes on their end. 

Regards,

Dipesh Bagadia

18 Replies 18

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @dbagadia,

About the command line: Yes, You can, but I can't see any reason You should do that. But anyway, You can run the Dropbox daemon as You do to any other program. I will advise You to use the autorun functionality.

About the username/password: Dropbox is using OAuth. At account link time (during install), new session is setup and from that moment on You don't have to enter anymore Your username (email) and/or password.

For the rest: Seems You haven't read still the details how exactly Dropbox (and not only) works. I will try to summarise: Your account content is mirrored to a local folder (named Dropbox). Any operation related to copy/move to, save inside, or delete from the Dropbox directory, 'mirror's to equivalent operation targeted to Your Dropbox account content and, opposite - when something changed in Your Dropbox data - this change follows to equivalent change in the local Dropbox directory content. In such a way, You don't have to use any API to upload, download or anything else. Just do the regular file operations inside the Dropbox local directory (like any other directory). Dropbox sync sill take care to keep in sync all connected locations (depending data volumes and network speed, some delay will be introduced). That's it. :wink:

Hope now it's more clear.

dbagadia
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Please advise if we can get into a call to discuss this further. I will be happy to schedule the call.

Regards,

Dipesh Bagadia

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

I'm a user like You. I'm not dropbox staff! Probably if You have more questions, Dropboxers can helps. I'm happy if my advices has helped You. :wink:

Здравко Гърмев

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Здравко Thanks for your help!

@dbagadia I can't offer a phone call, but if you have any remaining questions about the Dropbox API, please let me know here and I'll be happy to help.

dbagadia
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reaching out. Discussing over the phone will really help. You can reach out to my email ID directly with call details. I can explain the scenario and you can suggest if it's possible via Dropbox.

Regards,

Dipesh Bagadia

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@dbagadia We're not currently set up to provide API support over the phone, but I'm happy to help online. Please feel free to reply here on the forum with any other questions you have, or if you'd rather email privately, you can open an API ticket with your questions here: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

dbagadia
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Greg,

I am not looking for API support. Currently I am just trying to confirm if I will be able to devise a solution using Dropbox for scenario mentioned in my original post.

If my original post is not clear then I will prefer to have a call so that I can explain it better. Thanks.

Regards,

Dipesh Bagadia

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@dbagadia If you're not looking for help with the Dropbox API, then I'm afraid I'm not the right person to help. You can find ways to contact Dropbox for help with other areas here https://www.dropbox.com/support

dbagadia
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Greg.

Need more support?