cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Folder Owner Via API

Changing Folder Owner Via API

craggleb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been trying to use the API explorer to work out 1) who the owner of a folder is, and 2) then change the owner of the folder.

The main issue I'm coming across is that using 'list_folder' to get the id and sharing id (if shared) is that when using either as the id on 'list_file_members' it always returns an error. Even If I have authenticated as the folder owner or the person it has been shared with.

{
  "error_summary": "access_error/is_folder/...",
  "error": {
    ".tag": "access_error",
    "access_error": {
      ".tag": "is_folder"
    }
  },
  "user_message": {
    "locale": "en_GB",
    "text": "Invalid shared file ID."
  }
}

The business case is if someone leaves - we want to transfer ownership of their folders to an admin and the make them 'read-only' for anyone they are shared with.

Any help much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The error that you're seeing is the result of calling the 'list_folder_members' on a folder object rather than a file. 

The relevant endpoints for this use case are list_folder_members to determine the owner of a specific folder and transfer_folder to actually transfer the folder to a new owner.

Please feel free to reach out again if you need a hand!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The error that you're seeing is the result of calling the 'list_folder_members' on a folder object rather than a file. 

The relevant endpoints for this use case are list_folder_members to determine the owner of a specific folder and transfer_folder to actually transfer the folder to a new owner.

Please feel free to reach out again if you need a hand!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TaylorKrusen Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?