cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chooser 500 error when selecting many files

Chooser 500 error when selecting many files

romp94
Explorer | Level 4

When using the Dropbox Chooser in our web page, it appears that when a user selects around 300 files or more, the Chooser window throws a 500 error. 

The javascript console in the Chooser window says "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()".

Are there any settings that can be adjusted so this does not occur?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! We'll look into it. I don't have a workaround to offer unfortunately though.

romp94
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Greg. Were you able to reproduce the issue? This would be a big help for our app.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I have been able to reproduce the issue. This is open with engineering, but I don't have a timeline for a fix unfortunately.

amanuelcomp
New member | Level 2

Hi Greg,

I'm still getting the same problem. When selecting 3,000 files (every file is .txt file and have only 55 bytes), I'm getting the below error message.

Do you know when this will be fixed? What is the maximum number of files allowed by the chooser? What is the maximum total size allowed by the chooser?

Error (500)

Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropboxers have been notified. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

1. Request URL:
  2. Request Method:
  4. Remote Address:
    162.125.8.1:443
  5. Referrer Policy:
    origin-when-cross-origin

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I don't have any news or a timeline for a fix to share for this unfortunately, nor do I have specific numbers to offer on what the maximum count/size is. Apologies I can't be of more help. I'll follow up here once I have any update for you.

Yefimov_R
New member | Level 2

Hi Greg,
Are there any updates for this error?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, I'm afraid I don't have any change to report for this issue. Given that this only happens for large numbers of files, it looks like the team isn't planning on prioritizing work on this.

If this is a common use case for your app, I recommend switching to using the Dropbox API instead of the Chooser as that will offer more control.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Yefimov_R New member | Level 2
    amanuelcomp New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?