cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content-Type setting for downloading using dropbox api v2

Content-Type setting for downloading using dropbox api v2

Anoop_Brijmohun
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good-day, 

im busy trying to write a simple app to download files from dropbox.

im a newbie to mobile dev and asistance would be appricated.

im am receiving this error when downloading.

Dropbox.Api.BadInputException: Error in call to API function "files/download": Bad HTTP "Content-Type" header: "application/x-www-form-urlencoded".
 Expecting one of "text/plain", "text/plain; charset=utf-8", "application/octet-stream", "application/octet-stream; charset=utf-8".

var aHttpClient = new HttpClient();
                aHttpClient.DefaultRequestHeaders.Add("Content-Type", "application/octet-stream; charset=utf-8");
                var aDorpboxConfig = new DropboxClientConfig("ApplicationName") { HttpClient = aHttpClient };

using (var dbx = new DropboxClient("Key_Here", aDorpboxConfig))
                {

Dropbox.Api.Files.DownloadArg dargs = new Dropbox.Api.Files.DownloadArg(content.Path + "/" + content.Name) ;

using (var response = await dbx.Files.DownloadAsync(dargs))
                    {
                        var file = await response.GetContentAsStringAsync();

}
                }
1 Accepted Solution
8 Replies 8

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There does not appear to be a need for a custom HTTP client in the sample code you have provided.  Is the custom HTTP client necessary, or can your code function without one?

The .NET SDK does not require a custom HTTP client in order to function, nor do you need to explicitly set the Content-Type header.  Our .NET SDK will automatically create an HTTP client and set the appropriate headers for each API.

Anoop_Brijmohun
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Robert, the reason I'm trying to add in the HTTP header is due to the "Bad HTTP content-type" message I am receiving... hence I thought I needed to specify one...

Any ideas or even a sample code extract I could try of one that works

Thanks

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am able to run the following C# sample from our .NET tutorials page.  It assumes a file named "file.txt" in the root folder of your Dropbox account.

using System;
using System.Threading.Tasks;
using Dropbox.Api;

namespace sampleApp
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var task = Task.Run((Func<Task>)Program.Run);
            task.Wait();
        }

static async Task Run()
        {
            using (var dbx = new DropboxClient("<OAuth Token>"))
            {
                using (var response = await dbx.Files.DownloadAsync("/file.txt"))
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(await response.GetContentAsStringAsync());
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

If you are doing this on mobile, are you using a framework like Xamarin?

Anoop_Brijmohun
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

I am using Xamarin Forms.

I receive this error 

Error in call to API function "files/download": Bad HTTP "Content-Type" header: "application/x-www-form-urlencoded".
Expecting one of "text/plain", "text/plain; charset=utf-8", "application/octet-stream",
"application/octet-stream; charset=utf-8".

at this stage

using (var response = await dbx.Files.DownloadAsync("/Test.PDF"))

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That is the line of code I would expect to be throwing the error based on the information you've shared.

Your issue appears to be very similar to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-Support-Feedback/Xamarin-DropBox-APi-HTTP-400-Bad-request-on-Dow....

Given that the code sample works in a standard .NET project, but does not in a Xamarin project, Xamarin is likely adding additional logic that is modifying the Content-Type header in this use case.  There is little we can do to help in this situation as we do not provide support for Xamarin issues with the official Dropbox .NET SDK.  One place to possibly find additional help could be the Xamarin forums.

Anoop_Brijmohun
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

thanks for the support 

will follow up with Xamarin

thanks again

redth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please post any issues with the Xamarin binding here: https://github.com/xamarin/xamarincomponents

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

redth New member | Level 2
    Anoop_Brijmohun Helpful | Level 6
    DBX_Robert Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?