cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt saved file if I first don't save to disk (node)

Corrupt saved file if I first don't save to disk (node)

smr_software
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I'm using the api to save a file to Dropbox from node (meteor). My problem is, if I don't first save to disk (node) but directly to Dropbox, the result is a corrupted file.  Otherwise, If I first  save to node, read, and then save to DB, the file is saved perfect. 

In  the client (browser) I receive the file from the user and pass this: file.srcElement.result to server (node).  

In server, I write the file to disk: 

await writeFileAsync(fileName, blob, encoding) 
then read it from disk 
fileContent = await readFileAsync(fileName); 
get my Dropbox token ... 

write to Dropbox : 

await dbx.filesUpload({
                path: fileName, 
                contents: fileContent, 
                mode: { ".tag": "overwrite" }, 
                autorename: false 
            })

Everything works perfect and I can see the file is perfectly written to DB. Nevertheless,  I don't want to save the content first to disk, in order to save then to DB. 

Can somebody help me undertand what I'm missing here? 

Many thanks and bye ... 
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @smr_software,

Did you take care for file decoding, not directly forward it?! Usually files get encoded somehow (base64, gzip,.. etc.) before transmitted from clients browser. :wink:

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @smr_software,

Did you take care for file decoding, not directly forward it?! Usually files get encoded somehow (base64, gzip,.. etc.) before transmitted from clients browser. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@smr_software The Dropbox filesUpload method will just upload the data supplied to it, so to follow on what Здравко said, it sounds like the issue is occurring before the Dropbox call. It may have to do with whatever format or encoding the data is in when you get it. 

Since this isn't exactly about the Dropbox API itself, I'm afraid I can't offer much help. You may be better suited asking about how to handle data like this in Node/Meteor in a more general forum, such as StackOverflow, or one specific to Node or Meteor. I also recommend adding some logging first to inspect the data through your code to see what is different and where.

smr_software
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, yes, I suppose both answers are in a way ansewring the issue. It's not a DB issue but an encoding one. I'll research a little bit about this, or maybe try in another forum, a more general one, like Stackoverflow. 

Of course if I find the solutions I'll post it back here. 

Many thanks for your help and bye ... 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

smr_software New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?