cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CreateFolderV2 sharing_info shared_folder_id empty

CreateFolderV2 sharing_info shared_folder_id empty

BIMcollab
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I am using the CreateFolderV2 to create a TeamFolder. The shared_folder_id in the sharing_info from the metadata is empty and I am not sure why. I also used the call to try to create folders in a Team folder and then in a shared folder, but with all of my attempts the shared_folder_id is always empty. I understand that in the documentation it says:

"shared_folder_id String(pattern="[-_0-9a-zA-Z:]+")? If this folder is a shared folder mount point, the ID of the shared folder mounted at this location. This field is optional."

However, I do not understand in which cases will the shared_folder_id actually be returned? 

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The /2/files/create_folder_v2 endpoint doesn't create team (or shared) folders. It just creates normal folders. Accordingly, the resulting folder won't have a shared folder ID, since it isn't a shared folder. Only team/shared folders themselves will have that set. It can be used to create normal folders in a variety of different contexts though, such as inside a team folder, team space, shared folder, or user's private folder. So, you can instead check 'sharing_info.parent_shared_folder_id' to see if a parent folder of it is shared.

If you want to create a team folder in a team that isn't using the team space configuration, and you're using a Dropbox Business API app with the "team member file access" permission, you can use the /2/team/team_folder/create endpoint. For teams using the team space configuration, you would just use the /2/files/create_folder_v2 endpoint to create a folder inside the team space.

Or, to just create a shared folder, you would use the /2/sharing/share_folder endpoint.

I recommend reading the Namespace Guide and Content Access Guide as they go over some of these concepts in more detail.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?