cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a folder with sync disabled

Creating a folder with sync disabled

sriniv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey all...  Using the API, is there a way to create a folder, which can only synced to the server on demand? So users can put files, but sync is trigerred only at a certain time ?

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for clarifying! The API will always service whatever API calls are made as soon as possible, so if you want to defer operations like this, you should build that in to your app's code. That is, just have your app itself wait to make those API calls, e.g., to create a folder, upload files, etc, until whenever you want them done.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand exactly what functionality you're looking for. Do you perhaps mean you want to create a folder that isn't synced automatically via the "Selective Sync" feature, or via the online only option?

In any case, there isn't anything like that, but please feel free to elaborate and I'll be happy to pass this along as a feature request.

sriniv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Greg.. Thanks for the reply, let me rephrase.

We would like to disable sync for certain users on a folder via API, and have the API enable it during non work hours for sync to server.

let me know if that helps

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! I'm still not sure I fully understand your exact scenario though. When you refer to the "server", do you mean your own server which is syncing with Dropbox, e.g., via the Dropbox desktop client, or do you mean the Dropbox API servers?

sriniv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I am talking about dropbox servers.. basically, the files should stay local and be synced to dropbox on demand.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for clarifying! The API will always service whatever API calls are made as soon as possible, so if you want to defer operations like this, you should build that in to your app's code. That is, just have your app itself wait to make those API calls, e.g., to create a folder, upload files, etc, until whenever you want them done.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    sriniv Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?