cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DROPBOX: (7) Failed to connect to api.dropboxapi.com port 443: Connection refused

DROPBOX: (7) Failed to connect to api.dropboxapi.com port 443: Connection refused

David D.18
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to connect a wordpress back up plugin -- BackWPup to dropbox. I have several webhosts and  it has not been a problem. However on a recent attempt to authorize the application it was rejected and I received this error message:

DROPBOX: (7) Failed to connect to api.dropboxapi.com port 443: Connection refused

I have contacted the webhost, BackWPup and now dropbox. 
I have not heard back from BackWPup plugin.
I did hear back from the webhost: 

Hi,

We have already enabled the port 443 in the server could you please try again from your end. If the issue persists please provide your public Ip.

---

Hi,

This seems to be an issue at dropbox end.
We are able to telnet all servers on port 443, except ' api.dropboxapi.com' .
So please check this with their support and make sure that there aren't any blocks for our server IP or the port.

[root@forever456 ~]# telnet api.dropboxapi.com 443
Trying 162.125.2.7...
telnet: connect to address 162.125.2.7: Connection refused
Trying 2620:100:6017:7::a27d:207...
telnet: connect to address 2620:100:6017:7::a27d:207: Network is unreachable

We can't find any issue in the server please contact the dropbox support and if they want to change anything from server side we will do for you.

Are the any suggestions from dropbox to assist with this so I can get passed this error.? 

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API itself wouldn't refuse your connections like this; rejected calls would receive an explicit error, such as a 429 rate limiting response. Further, I just tried and the Dropbox API servers are currently responding successfully.

It's possible you're seeing a network-level issue though. Is there any software, e.g., proxy, anti-virus, firewall, etc. on your network connection that may be interfering with the network connections to Dropbox? If so, unfortunately, as that's out of our control, I'm afraid I can't offer insight on configuring those. You may need to contact your network administrator for help with that.

David D.18
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Greg K. and thanks for responding.

I don't know what to do. I have 2 other web hosts where I don't have any issue whatsoever with the plugin and all works OK.

On the other hand this other webhost says the ports are open and that they are having an issue with drop box not receiving them as stated above and asking for any DB assistance that may help solve the issue.

As far as network administrator, I do not know who that is. There is the webhost company, the plugin creators and me, the website owner.

At my end I have tried everything wordpress usually recommends:

UPDATE & FYI - I have done the following before contacting you:
I have tried 4 browsers: Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox.
I have disabled all extensions on the browsers and cleared the browser cache

Logged in to the website: All plugins, themes and wordpress are up to date.
In WP I have disabled all the other plugins : (I removed the Wordfence firewall and cleared the cache)
In WP I have used the twenty seventeen theme.

I am still unable to authenticate the DropBox API getting the same message:

All, I know is it worked fine until dropbox recently required me to re-authenticate the api because of something they changed at their end.

I cannot connect, I'm not a tech and being stuck in between 3 different parties trying to co-ordinate it.

Again, thanks for you help

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information. From your description, it sounds like your web host would be your network administrator this case.

It does sound like there's an issue with that particular web host, since your other ones are working, or at least a networking issue on the path between that particular web host and the Dropbox servers.

If you'd like, I can ask our team to check if there's anything they can see that would be causing this (though I can't make any promises as to what they'd be able to find or fix from our side). In that case, open a ticket here and supply the output of the following from the affected host: 

Mac/Linux:

traceroute api.dropboxapi.com

Windows:

tracert api.dropboxapi.com

David D.18
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you.  I will forward the tracert request to the webhost. 

Update: I heard back from the backWPup plugin developer with this response:

hmm, so in this case, you have to contact Dropbox support and ask them why they blocked your IP.
Sorry but that all I can help you now 
For now, I would suggest you use another backup destination like FTP, AWS S3 or Google Drive(pro version)

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! We'll follow up on your ticket.

David D.18
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Greg and thank you.

I have just advised my hosting comapny about the tracer to get this reply:

This should be resolved now.
So please have a try again.

I can now connect but I'm now having other transfer issues (which backwpup suggests is a network issue).  I am not happy with the hosting company for dismissing my question out of hand and placing the blame elsewhere.

I have asked the webhost for an explanation and if they have the decency to reply I will post here in case other people have a similar issue. My apologies for wasting your time.

Need more support?