cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default home location

Default home location

LYBau
New member | Level 2

New Dropbox Business user. I know this is probably mainly to do with how the program I am using is using the Dropbox API but I've got a process that was working on personal dropbox that has stopped now with my change to business. So I was wondering if you can change what Dropbox considers your default 'home' directory to be your team folder rather than your individual folder.

I'm using an app called Hubdoc and it allows you to synch all of your files to your Dropbox. It asks you to specify the path you want to save it in after the Dropbox 'home' directory.  For eg. you'd specify a path /Documents/Scans and it would create that straight under Dropbox root folder.

So now I've gone to Dropbox business I've got the root folder for me as an individual and the root one for my team/business. I wanted to be able to specify the path under my business folders.  However, even though not specified in the path it seems to consider the individual folder with my name to be the root and creates any folders beneath that.

I'm not sure where it's picking that default up from so I was wondering if there's somewhere in Dropbox business where you set what your default home folder is.

NB. I understand how to move the home folder to any given location but it will just create that same structure of the two folders underneath for business and individual and still sees the individual one as the start point for any path.

TIA

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @LYBau, I’ve move your post here where some like-minded community members may have some ideas to share on this with you. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. Thanks! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

When using the Dropbox API to connect to a Dropbox account that's on a Business team using the "team space" configuration, like you describe, API calls will default to the team member folder, not the shared team space.

There isn't a way to change this default as an end-user, e.g., from the Dropbox web site, etc. The Dropbox API itself does offer a way to programmatically specify where to operate though, e.g., in the team space or the team member folder.

To clarify though, are you an end-user of this app, or the programmer of the app? This is something the programmer of the app would need to update the app to accomodate, so if you're an end-user I recommend contacting the maker of the app and asking them to update it accordingly. (They can contact us directly if they need guidance on how to do so.)

velocit
New member | Level 2

Thanks Greg. I'm an end user trying to articulate to the third party product provider why their current integration doesn't work with Dropbox business so they know they need to investigate. The above information is helpful for me to do that. 

Thx again.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying! In that case, I do recommend requesting this with the third party product provider. They can contact us directly, using the contact form or the forum, if they need any help with the Dropbox API.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    velocit New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?