cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Direct link to image file

Direct link to image file

danc222
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I'd like to know if there is a way to create a direct link to a file using the API. My app requires sending an image link to a 3rd party's API for image recognition. When I test the link created using "create_shared_link_with_settings", I get something like 

www.dropbox.com/s/8um0tttqgbjq5c7/my_image.jpg  

But it is not recognised as an image. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the link. Neat tool. I found a solution! 

The share/get_temporary_link is the one you want. You can test it out in the API explorer real quick to verify before you write the code. 

Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi, 

Is the 3rd party API you're calling expecting a file or a URL to an image? 

I'd expect it to need the entire file, in which case you'll need to download (files/download) the file onto your server and upload the file to the other API for processing. 

danc222
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply. The API is expecting a URL to the image. You can actually see for yourself here https://imagga.com/auto-tagging-demo

Links generated via the Dropbox API do not work as I assume the URL given is a 'container' with meta data, download links and comments etc. I am looking for a direct link to the media. Is this possible with Dropbox? Thanks

danc222
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

To add some more information:

I created a link of an image and got something that looked like:
www.dropbox.com/s/8um0tttqgbjq5c7/my_image.jpg  

But after downloading the image to my desktop, the actual link to the image file looked like:https://uc16303a726d517a4932231f53ee.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/get/AjqdFl9BQdUPdRx5SUC83nDAmmbl...

This form of URL works with the API in question. So my question is...is there a way to generate this URL?

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the link. Neat tool. I found a solution! 

The share/get_temporary_link is the one you want. You can test it out in the API explorer real quick to verify before you write the code. 

Cheers!

danc222
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Taylor, that seems to do the trick! I see temporary links expire after 4 hours but new ones can be generated on demand. Works fine for me.

Busy beaver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Idk is it legit, but I found a solution here - https://zapier.com/blog/generate-direct-dropbox-link/

It is just to replace "www.dropbox.com" in your url with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com". So in your case it would be dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8um0tttqgbjq5c7/my_image.jpg .

Whois tells that that domain belongs to the same company as dropbox.com so probably that's not a third-party website.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Busy beaver New member | Level 2
    danc222 Explorer | Level 3
    TaylorKrusen Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?