cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Yaogang L.
New member | Level 1

I am trying to use the iOS 8 Document Picker to choose a file package from Dropbox, and edit it in-place. However, it seems that only the import and export modes are supported. When I use the open mode, Dropbox doesn't show up in the document picker.

Is this something you guys are working on?

51 Replies 51

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff

Hi there!

Apple’s Document Picker extension allows apps to import/export or open/move documents into other apps. Dropbox currently supports the import/export functionality (and doesn’t yet support open/move). Apps that only support open/move will not display Dropbox as an option.

In most cases, you can still choose to open the document into Dropbox by accessing the sharing icon and selecting to “Open In” Dropbox. You can send the document back to your app using the same “Open In” functionality.

Dropbox keeps track of this feedback so that we can work toward including our most popular requests in future versions of our app.

Thanks!

Brian B.41
New member | Level 1

It would save us tons of implementation time if Dropbox supported UIDocumentPickerModeMoveToService and UIDocumentPickerModeOpen!

Wolfgang B.11
New member | Level 2

Any news on  this? Any plans for the upcoming release of IOS9?

Anyway, please support UIDocumentPickerModeMoveToService and UIDocumentPickerModeOpen. There is no reason why dropbox behaves differently on IOS than it does on a Mac or other Desktop platform.

John C.101
New member | Level 1

This is very disappointing and makes Dropbox and inferior solution to iCloud. I have no choice but to move to iCloud.

JasonTM1
Helpful | Level 5

Totally agree. Dropbox is nice but we are very close to moving our business account elsewhere for this very reason.

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff

Hi there!

Thanks for writing in about this. 

I'll make sure I pass your feedback onto our team as this is something we are looking into already. 

Many thanks! 

Jon S.27
New member | Level 1

I would like to echo the comments above. I have a paid Dropbox account and find it to be the most reliable option available. However, having to use import/export creates duplicates of files, makes it hard to keep track of versions and makes everything take longer. Alas, I too will be leaving Dropbox if this isn't fixed soon. 

What at I find shocking is that whereas previously iCloud was the the only practical option, Apple did Dropbox a huge favour by adding this picker functionality and yet Dropbox failed to utilise it. Apple must be puzzled as to why Dropbox isn't trying to compete for iOS users. 

frevo
Helpful | Level 6

Yep, this is so important. There are so many apps in which I can edit files stored at different locations, but Dropbox is always missing. This one of the few areas where DB is lagging behind its competitors.

Michael I.12
New member | Level 1

I am increasingly annoyed this isn't supported yet and will also be moving elsewhere if this isn't corrected before my renewal is up.  This is a MAJOR pain for any iOS users. 

Need more support?