cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download data for all users on team

Download data for all users on team

time4116
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What is the best way to download the contents of all user folders? I've created a DropBox API application but this seems to only allow access to my content, I've also created a DropBox Buisness API (Team member file access) app to see if we can leverage that to download all of our users content. However, I can't seem to find a direct way to do it via the HTTP documentation. We are mainly looking for content that is not a part of a team or shared so we can download to a local box for analyzation. Ideally, any soultion that does not require user intervention. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To download all non-team and non-shared file content from all members of a team without individual user action, you'll need a Dropbox Business API app with the "team member file access" permission. This will let you use the "Member file access" feature to access each member's account.

The basic outline of the code would go like this:

Alternatively, you can use /2/team/namespaces/list[/continue] instead of listing each member and then listing everything for each member.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To download all non-team and non-shared file content from all members of a team without individual user action, you'll need a Dropbox Business API app with the "team member file access" permission. This will let you use the "Member file access" feature to access each member's account.

The basic outline of the code would go like this:

Alternatively, you can use /2/team/namespaces/list[/continue] instead of listing each member and then listing everything for each member.

time4116
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Greg! This is perfect.

It looks like the /files/download method ignores team folders as far as the ability to download or recurse.? If so, I may not need to worry about excluding folders, but Is there a way to do it via /files/list_folder?

chirstius
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @time4116,

There's no direct way currently to exclude them via the initial call to /files/list_folder, but if you use /team/namespaces/list[/continue], you can filter the NamespaceMetadata that comes back on its "namespace_type" attribute. You could alternatively call /team/team_folder/list[/continue] and just use that list as a guide to filter entries from /files/list_folder[/continue]

Hope that helps,

-Chuck

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

chirstius Dropbox Staff
    time4116 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?