cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Downloading from a shared, password-protected folder

Downloading from a shared, password-protected folder

diziet
New member | Level 2

Hello -

I am trying to access a shared folder that is password protected. Currently, I can get the contents of the folder with list_folder() but it is unclear how I would get actual downloads for the files. If I was accessing my own account I could use get_temporary_link() but I am struggling to find the equivalent for a shared, password-protected folder.

In particular, get_shared_link_file() returns "shared_link_access_denied", even when supplied with the correct password for the folder.

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If the shared folder is mounted in the account of the connected user:

- to list the contents, it is best to use /2/files/list_folder (supplying the `path` value), and /2/files/list_folder/continue, if necessary.

- the download file data, it is best to use /2/files/download. (Using /2/files/get_temporary_link would also work though.)

If the shared folder is not mounted in the account of the connected user, and you only have a shared link for the folder:

- to list the contents, use /2/files/list_folder (supplying the `shared_link` value), and /2/files/list_folder/continue, if necessary.

- the download file data, use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file (supplying the `link_password` value, if necessary).

It sounds like you're trying to use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file, but are unexpectedly getting a `shared_link_access_denied` error. I just tried it out myself, and it looks like there may be an issue with that right now. We'll look into it.

diziet
New member | Level 2

Thanks for looking into it.

hashken
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I too am getting the shared_link_access_denied error when using the get_shared_link_file API call with a valid password. Have you been able to figure out why this is happening?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@hashken This is a bug on our side unfortunately. It's open with engineering, but I don't have a timeline for a fix right now.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This issue with calling /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file with a password is now fixed and should be working properly.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Need more support?