cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox API limits

Dropbox API limits

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi there, I have a few questions on Dropbox API limits:

1. What is the Dropbox download API speed? (Benchmark tests)

2. What is the Dropbox search API speed? (Benchmark tests)

3. What is the daily API call limit per Dropbox Business user or per Dropbox Business team? 

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
1. The Dropbox API doesn't have a particular speed I can guarantee. Your connection speed to Dropbox depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds.

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that is outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason.

2. The performance of specific API operations, such as search, also can't be guaranteed as it will depend on various factors, such as the number of items in the account being used.

3. The Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but we don't have any specific numbers documented. It is only designed to prevent abuse though, and is accordingly relatively generous. Further, the limits operate on a per-user basis. That being the case, you generally don't need to worry about hitting it in normal use.

Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10

Thanks @Greg-DB for your response! With regards to the API performance, while I do understand that it is highly dependent on my own environment, would there be any published benchmark tests done by Dropbox under the specific conditions? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, we don't have any published benchmarks like that.

jvelazquez1
New member | Level 2
I need to use the Dropbox API App Console to increase their apps user limit??

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jvelazquez1 It sounds like you're referring to the user limit that applies to apps in "development" mode. That's unrelated to the earlier discussion in this thread.

You can increase that limit somewhat via the app's page on the App Console. To remove it entirely, you would need to apply for production. You can find more information here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/developer-guide#production-approval

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    jvelazquez1 New member | Level 2
    mxoh Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?