cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API v2 - Empty file on upload

Dropbox API v2 - Empty file on upload

Ismaelw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there

I use the dropbox v2 api to upload a file using laravel and guzzle.

However the file in dropbox shows empty. Those files have a sie of 0 bytes.

It have to do with my post call to the API because the file contents are still there before calling the upload call.

$client = new Client;

$response = $client->post("https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/upload", [
                'headers' => [
                    'Authorization' => 'Bearer '.$this->getAccessToken(),
                    'Dropbox-API-Arg' => json_encode([
                        'path' => $path,
                        'mode' => 'add',
                        'autorename' => true,
                        'mute' => true,
                        'strict_conflict' => false
                    ]),
                    'Content-Type' => 'application/octet-stream',
                    'data-binary' => "@$file"
                ]
            ]);

return json_decode($response->getBody()->getContents(), true);

UPDATE

After some testing I made it work with using

'body' => fopen($file, "r")

instead of 

'data-binary' => "@$file"

as described in the dropbox api v2 documentation.

Is there a better solution to this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59904691/laravel-dropbox-api-v2-empty-file-on-upload ]

The Dropbox API /2/files/upload endpoint is a "content-upload" style endpoint, meaning that it expects the file data for the upload in the HTTPS request body. Exactly how you set the file data in the request body will depend on what HTTPS client you're using. The example included with the documentation is written for curl on the command line, which uses curl's "data-binary" parameter to set the request body. 

Other HTTPS clients, such as Guzzle in your case, may use different option names. It sounds like you've already figured out the equivalent for Guzzle and got this working. I can't speak to whether or not there's a better option or method in Guzzle though, as that's made by a third party.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59904691/laravel-dropbox-api-v2-empty-file-on-upload ]

The Dropbox API /2/files/upload endpoint is a "content-upload" style endpoint, meaning that it expects the file data for the upload in the HTTPS request body. Exactly how you set the file data in the request body will depend on what HTTPS client you're using. The example included with the documentation is written for curl on the command line, which uses curl's "data-binary" parameter to set the request body. 

Other HTTPS clients, such as Guzzle in your case, may use different option names. It sounds like you've already figured out the equivalent for Guzzle and got this working. I can't speak to whether or not there's a better option or method in Guzzle though, as that's made by a third party.

Need more support?