Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

Dropbox Chooser cancels in MSIE11

Explorer | Level 3

I've integrated the Dropbox Chooser API into my web-app and it works fine in Chrome.

In MSIE 11 however, 9 out of 10 times it calls the cancel callback after selecting a file. Also, I receive a generic error (SCRIPT16389) and a reference to the script: dropins.js (1,11784).

Weirdly, however, 1 out of 10 times it does work and calls the success callback.

The script reference points to a part of the Dropbox SDK that uses postMessage.

My web-app has a lot of dependencies, but I have no way of telling if any of them is interfering and how. Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies

Re: Dropbox Chooser cancels in MSIE11

Dropboxer

Thanks for the report! I just gave the Chooser a try in Internet Explorer 11 and I'm not seeing the same issue though.

First, for comparison, can you try the Chooser demo itself on https://www.dropbox.com/developers/chooser in Internet Explorer 11 and let me know if you do or don't see the issue there as well?

If you're not seeing it there, it's possible there is something on your site in particular that is interfering, so we'd need to work on tracking that down. (We have seen things like that once or twice.) In that case, please share a sample page that reproduces the issue so we can check on it.

Explorer | Level 3

It works fine on the demo page. Which probably means it's an issue under very specific circumstances.

Is there any way I can send login details to you via DM or email? It's a fairly complex web-app that cannot simply be made public. And since I don't know which feature might be messing up the Dropbox API, I don't want to exclude any features at this time.

Dropboxer

Sure, if you'd prefer to share privately, please send the details in an API ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

Thanks!

Explorer | Level 3

I'll send you the logins via the contact form in a moment.

I've been debugging the error a bit more. What seems to happen is that in this piece of the Dropbox SDK something occurs:

var t = function() {
a.closed || (a.close(),
a.postMessage(JSON.stringify({
method: "close"
}), Dropbox.baseUrl)),
Dropbox.removeListener(window, "message", r),
clearInterval(c)
}
, r = function(e) {
e.source !== a && e.source !== (void 0 !== s.ieframe && null !== s.ieframe ? s.ieframe.contentWindow : void 0) || s.handleMessageEvent(e, t, n)
}
, i = n.iframe ? "" : o + ",resizable,scrollbars"
, a = window.open(e, n.windowName || "dropbox", i);

By the time function t is called, a is an empty object and so a.postMessage throws an error. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the investigation! We've received your ticket and will look into this issue using the resources you've supplied.

API Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about API Support.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post