cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox download API is not working for shared files

Dropbox download API is not working for shared files

Michmm90
New member | Level 2

Hello

I want to download a file someone shared with me using the API, meaning get file content in response content same as in "files/download" call.

Unfotunately this call does not work for shared files, saying that "path not found".

Also calling "sharing/get_shared_link_file" fails, saying that "service unavilable".

Please see the following contradition-

here you say downloading the shared ("received") files is done using the "sharing/get_shared_link_file" call:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-Support-Feedback/Can-we-download-shared-files-directly-using-Dro...

but here you say "I unfortunately don't have a solution to offer for downloading these "received" files programmatically":

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-Support-Feedback/Dropbox-download-api-is-not-working/td-p/323213

What is going on here ?

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Michmm90 Thanks for the report! As you found, downloading received files via /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file is unfortunately not currently working, nor is it possible to do so via /2/files/download. I'm afraid that means the API doesn't currently have a working way to download these files programmatically. This is open with the team, but I don't have a timeline on a potential solution to offer.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This should be fixed now. Please try this with /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file again and let me know if you're still seeing any issues.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?