cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox file chooser inside Outlook Add-in

Dropbox file chooser inside Outlook Add-in

namiqismayil
Helpful | Level 5

I have been trying to you use Dropbox Chooser to get the file destination from Outlook Add-in. It works fine on Desktop, but when I run the application through Outlook Mobile (on android) app, it launches the android browser.

My question is how do I go back to my app (or ideally load the chooser inside the Outlook Add-in without popping up the browser) after I choose the destination?

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hello @namiqismayil - welcome to our Community!

In regards to your query now, could you clarify if you're developing your own application and share a screenshot of the screen where you're stumbling upon?

Thanks for your response!

PS: Feel free to include any additional information you feel might help.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

namiqismayil
Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

Here is the screenshot from the add-in and after it launches the browser. after it launches the browser page, I get this "cannot communicate with the https://..." and when I pick a destination and click Choose nothing happens.

So I am comparing it to One Drive picker, which stays inside the Add-in Application. I am wondering if I get communication error because outlook app and this browser page lost a connection.

So is it possible to load it inside the Add-in in Outlook mobile app?

If not, how can I keep the communication going and return to the app after picking the destination?

71761045_394691227891197_42067658476093440_n.png70783279_861798337570362_5583596667510194176_n.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @namiqismayil - it's most appreciated.

Note that I moved your post under a more appropriate section of our Community so the right people get on it and help with your inquiry.

Let us know if you have anything to add in the meantime!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@namiqismayil The Dropbox Chooser is only designed and supported for running in standard browser environments, so unfortunately it won't work in Outlook Add-ins like this. I'll pass this along as a feature request for support for this, but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented. 

namiqismayil
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

I came up with this rather interesting scenario. I was working on the same project but haven't done dropbox specific work past couple days.

Today I clicked the Dropbox Chooser button and expected it to launch the browser window again but instead, it loaded everything inside the add-in page.

Now I wanted to double-check with you to see if there has been a software update to support this feature and whether it is safe for production.

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@namiqismayil No, I don't have any updates on this. Dropbox hasn't changed the officially supported environments for the Chooser. I can't speak to what may have changed in Outlook itself though.

Need more support?