cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox upload bandwidth throttling

Dropbox upload bandwidth throttling

Gregory Q.
Explorer | Level 4

I am using OAuth 2 to upload files to my dropbox account. Upload speeds have noticeably gotten worse for me from a variety of devices and locations over the past few months. Is there an account type in which uploads are not throttled by dropbox, because clearly you guys are throttling bandwidth. I currently use dropbox pro.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Gregory, the Dropbox API doesn't do any throttling based on account type. 

There are many factors that can affect the speed you see. For reference, all of the Dropbox servers are located in the US. Your connection speed to Dropbox depends on the specific routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds.

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that is outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?