cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files Delete batch

Files Delete batch

philip-lf
Explorer | Level 4

dbx.filesListFolder({path: '/app', recursive: true})
    .then(response => {

let path = response.entries.map(entry => {
        return {path: entry.path_lower};
      })

dbx.filesDeleteBatch({entries: path})
      .then(response => {
        console.log(response);
      })
    })

Hi there, I am trying to delete several files/folders at once, however, when I use the 'filesDeleteBatch' method it does not delete anything. Its response in the '.then()' looks like this: 

{ '.tag': 'async_job_id', async_job_id: '...idNumber...' }

How can i solve this problem?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The filesDeleteBatch method does not necessarilly immediately delete the requested files. It can create and return the ID for an asynchronous job.

You should use the filesDeleteBatchCheck method, supplying the async job ID you received from filesDeleteBatch, to check on the job's status. If the job failed, it will indicate why.

buttflattery
Explorer | Level 4

so this means that we need to periodically check manually by sending the hit to `delete_batch/check` API endpoint. 

Isnt there any way that we can use webhook against the delete_batch which should automatically submit the payload to the given URL?

This feature can be useful.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@buttflattery Yes, when the API returns an async job like this, you'll need to use the relevant endpoint to periodically check the status of the job until it's done.

The Dropbox API doesn't offer webhook functionality for this, or any other way to be automatically notified of async job status changes, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Need more support?