Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more
Highlighted

Get revision of file from C#

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I need to keep syncronized in the memory of my program the contents of a file inside my dropbox, I was thinking on getting constantly the Revision of that file and if it's different, then, download the content. Ignoring if that's the best way to go. It's a really light file, less than 10KB of text.

So, I was thinking this way, in a timer:

if (!workingAsync)
            {
                workingAsync = true;
                string newRev = (await dBox.Files.GetMetadataAsync("/File.txt")).AsFile.Rev;
                workingAsync = false;

if (oldRev != newRev)
                {
                    oldRev = newRev;
                    DownloadUpdatedFile();
                }
            }

But I don't know if there's a better way of performing this check.

Thanks for any advice.

1 Reply

Re: Get revision of file from C#

Dropboxer

Checking if the `rev` value has changed is certainly a valid way of determing if your copy of the may be out of date. 

Alternatively, you can make use of the following methods to efficiently keep track of any changes in a particular folder:

ListFolderAsync and ListFolderContinueAsync can be used to list the contents of a folder, and then ListFolderLongpollAsync can be used to efficiently poll for changes to that folder. Check out the linked documentation for each on information on how to use them.

API Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about API Support.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post