cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get revision of file from C#

Get revision of file from C#

devLander
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I need to keep syncronized in the memory of my program the contents of a file inside my dropbox, I was thinking on getting constantly the Revision of that file and if it's different, then, download the content. Ignoring if that's the best way to go. It's a really light file, less than 10KB of text.

So, I was thinking this way, in a timer:

if (!workingAsync)
            {
                workingAsync = true;
                string newRev = (await dBox.Files.GetMetadataAsync("/File.txt")).AsFile.Rev;
                workingAsync = false;

if (oldRev != newRev)
                {
                    oldRev = newRev;
                    DownloadUpdatedFile();
                }
            }

But I don't know if there's a better way of performing this check.

Thanks for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Checking if the `rev` value has changed is certainly a valid way of determing if your copy of the may be out of date. 

Alternatively, you can make use of the following methods to efficiently keep track of any changes in a particular folder:

ListFolderAsync and ListFolderContinueAsync can be used to list the contents of a folder, and then ListFolderLongpollAsync can be used to efficiently poll for changes to that folder. Check out the linked documentation for each on information on how to use them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Checking if the `rev` value has changed is certainly a valid way of determing if your copy of the may be out of date. 

Alternatively, you can make use of the following methods to efficiently keep track of any changes in a particular folder:

ListFolderAsync and ListFolderContinueAsync can be used to list the contents of a folder, and then ListFolderLongpollAsync can be used to efficiently poll for changes to that folder. Check out the linked documentation for each on information on how to use them.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?