cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting "invalid_access_token" after getting DropboxClientsManager.authorizedClient

Getting "invalid_access_token" after getting DropboxClientsManager.authorizedClient

RJKinsman
Helpful | Level 6

I'm doing something wrong in the Auth flow for my iOS app, but after looking at the photo watch sample app, I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. The problem is, I always get an invalid_access_token when trying to access a file, even though I always get an authorized client.,

I have this in my AppDelegate:

DropboxClientsManager.setupWithAppKey("fawy4f14021rypr")
if DropboxClientsManager.authorizedClient != nil { print("We have an authorized client. Now let's see if we can get the file attributes")

After that, I try to access a file, like this...

client!.files.getMetadata(path: "/Nvelopes.csv")
                .response {response, error in
                    if let (_) = response {
                        dropboxGo = true
                        self.dispatchGroup.leave()
                                        }
                    else if let error = error {
                        print("Did not find Nvelopes.csv in Dropbox:")
                        print(error.description)
                        self.dispatchGroup.leave()
                                            }
             }

... which always results in an invalid_access_token, which looks like this:

[request-id 04ea10d76b6ff63d66aedb01b3d761be] API auth error - {
    ".tag" = "invalid_access_token";
}

So I then go through the auth flow like this...

// Begin the Dropbopx authorization flow
        DropboxClientsManager.authorizeFromController(UIApplication.shared, controller: self, openURL: { (url: URL) -> Void in UIApplication.shared.open(url, options: [:], completionHandler: nil) })

I understand this is a bit disjointed.  If it helps, I will be glad to post all the code in context.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

RJKinsman
Helpful | Level 6

I have an update.  Suddenly the attempt to get file attributes after getting the client started working.  I don't know how to explain it.

Do I need to save and use the same access token?  If yes, how do I pass it back into the API?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It looks like you're using the SwiftyDropbox SDK. You should save and re-use an access token once you get one, but the SDK does this for you automatically.

Can you confirm you configured your project and implemented the authorization flow exactly as documented? You didn't share your code for the "Handle redirect back into SDK" step in particular.

In any case, note that while access tokens currently don't expire on their own, they can be revoked by the app or user at any time. For that reason, you should make sure your app is able to catch an AuthError at any time. If the access token is invalid, you should throw it away and prompt the user to authorize your app again, if they still want to use the integration.

RJKinsman
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, Greg.  I implemented the authorization flow as documented, to the best of my ability.  Here is my application function where I handle the redirect back into the SDK:

func application(_ app: UIApplication, open url: URL, options: [UIApplication.OpenURLOptionsKey : Any] = [:]) -> Bool {
        // Set up the viewcontroller variable

var nvelopesViewController: UIViewController
        self.window = UIWindow(frame: UIScreen.main.bounds)
        let mainStoryboard: UIStoryboard = UIStoryboard(name: "Main", bundle: nil)
        if let authResult = DropboxClientsManager.handleRedirectURL(url) {
            switch authResult {
            case .success(let token):
                print("Success! User is logged into Dropbox with token: \(token)")

// Set the regular ViewController
                nvelopesViewController = mainStoryboard.instantiateViewController(withIdentifier: "sbNvelopes") as UIViewController

// Display the selected View
                self.window?.rootViewController = nvelopesViewController
                self.window?.makeKeyAndVisible()
            case .cancel:
                print("Authorization flow was manually canceled by user!")
            case .error(_, let description):
                print("Error: \(description)")
            }
        }
        return true
    }

RJKinsman
Helpful | Level 6

Also, here is my code in my ConnectToDropboxViewController where I begin the authorization flow:

@IBAction func connectToDropboxButtonTapped(_ sender: Any) {
        // Begin the Dropbopx authorization flow
        DropboxClientsManager.authorizeFromController(UIApplication.shared, controller: self, openURL: { (url: URL) -> Void in UIApplication.shared.open(url, options: [:], completionHandler: nil) })

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! I don't see anything clearly wrong here. 

It sounds like it's working now, but let me know if you are able to reproduce the issue again unexpectedly. 

For reference, you should be able to intentionally cause that by e.g., unlinking the app, or deleting the app folder (if you're using an app with the app folder permission).

RJKinsman
Helpful | Level 6

Great, thanks for the advice.  Yes, working is a good thing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RJKinsman Helpful | Level 6
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?