cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the externalId of a TeamMemberProfile (Java API) ?

How can I use the externalId of a TeamMemberProfile (Java API) ?

jacqkl
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I discovered the field externalId in the class com.dropbox.core.v2.team.MemberProfile and I would like to use it to identify a team member with an "App related ID" (exactly the purpose of externalId as described in the Java-doc).

The only way I could find to set this "externalId" is with a  MemberProfile constructor,

and also, it's a "final field";

So my questions are:

1. is this info. only local (and not persistent) to the java app?, or is it kept somewhere in Dropbox?

2.  if answer to 1. is no,  how can this info. be set?, preferably using the dropbox web(browser) gui

3. if answer to 1 is yes, what can be used to achieve a persistent and team-admin manageable kind of team-user aliasing ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. No, the external ID is not local only. It is persisted on the Dropbox servers. 

2. It's not possible to set the external ID manually via the Dropbox web site. You can use the API to set it programmatically. With the Java SDK, that's done via membersAdd or membersSetProfileBuilder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. No, the external ID is not local only. It is persisted on the Dropbox servers. 

2. It's not possible to set the external ID manually via the Dropbox web site. You can use the API to set it programmatically. With the Java SDK, that's done via membersAdd or membersSetProfileBuilder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?