cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sync a sqlserver database to dropbox

How to sync a sqlserver database to dropbox

mikebowensw
Explorer | Level 3

I am working on an application where a sqlserver database is centrally located on a dropbox server.  The application that is resident on a pc connects to the dropbox database. 

At first I was thinking to set up the database on the selective syn feature, so it is available in user/dropbox.  I saw a thread that suggested that as dropbox is always syncing it would create a problem with programmatically connecting to the local copy.  Is this true?  And if so, are there any work around solutions?

I was also just changing the connection string in the app from a local db to an internet based connection string, but I didn't see where that was done.

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
While you can store database files themselves, Dropbox and the Dropbox API don't offer a way to remotely connect to these database files to run database queries/operations. You'd need to download/upload the database file each time you need to change it. I'll send this along as a feature request though.

I can't speak much to if/how interacting with a local database file in the Dropbox folder would work though. If you do try to use a local database file synced in the Dropbox folder via the Dropbox desktop client, it's possible the database program and the Dropbox desktop client would prevent each from accessing the file when they're using it (e.g., when the database is open, or when Dropbox is trying to sync changes).

mikebowensw
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Greg. 

I'm thinking the best way to do this then is to disable the autosync feature on dropbox for the folder.   There is an app called Beyond Compare  that has a scripting feature that is available.  It does requiring registering it, which costs $35.  It works well for backing up to Dropbox.  Then it can be scheduled to synchronize through Windows Scheduler.

Ultimately I would love to automate it, but for the uses the companies would have their own way of backing up the files.  So the best solution would be to keep it a manual solution.

Have a blessed Memorial Day,

Mike

Davinator
New member | Level 2

You can automatically synchronize your data from SQL Server as CSV file with Dropbox on any kind of schedule by using Skyvia. It`s quite cool web-app with a no-coding interface and affordable pricing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Davinator New member | Level 2
    mikebowensw Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?