cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issue with Dropbox js API?

Issue with Dropbox js API?

philip-lf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have this test folder in Dropbox called 'googleApp', I'm using the filesListFolder to list the files. Without modifying the folder names or content the 'path_display' makes 'googleApp' lowercase causing my application to render two folders 'googleApp' and 'googleapp'. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.38.05 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Unfortunately, that path_display behavior is sometimes expected. Even in path_display, the original casing isn't always available for all components. There's a note about this in the API v2 documentation, under "Case insensitivity":

Also, while Dropbox is case-insensitive, it makes efforts to be case-preserving. Metadata.name will contain the correct case. Metadata.path_display usually will contain the correct case, but sometimes only in the last path component. If your app needs the correct case for all components, it can get it from the Metadata.name or last path component of each relevant Metadata.path_display entry.

We understand this is non-ideal of course, and I'll forward this on to the team as feedback, but I can't make any promises as to if or when this might be improved in the future.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Unfortunately, that path_display behavior is sometimes expected. Even in path_display, the original casing isn't always available for all components. There's a note about this in the API v2 documentation, under "Case insensitivity":

Also, while Dropbox is case-insensitive, it makes efforts to be case-preserving. Metadata.name will contain the correct case. Metadata.path_display usually will contain the correct case, but sometimes only in the last path component. If your app needs the correct case for all components, it can get it from the Metadata.name or last path component of each relevant Metadata.path_display entry.

We understand this is non-ideal of course, and I'll forward this on to the team as feedback, but I can't make any promises as to if or when this might be improved in the future.

Need more support?