cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Large uploads via /get_temporary_upload_link are terminated with '413 Request Entity Too Large'

Large uploads via /get_temporary_upload_link are terminated with '413 Request Entity Too Large'

De L.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi!

I am uploading files via the temporarily upload links generated via the /get_temporary_upload_link call. This all works fine, but the POST upload call to the generated upload link (e.g. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/apitul/1/bNi....)  is terminated for files larger than a certain limit.

> POST /apitul/1/bNi.... HTTP/1.1
Host: dl.dropboxusercontent.com
Accept: */*
Content-Length: 536871142
Expect: 100-continue
Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=------------------------b315544e35df5ae3

< HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:10:15 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html
< Content-Length: 25658
< Connection: close
< ETag: "5c816ae0-643a"
< X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 9600532cf40be9d1ae39f8cdd6182848
< X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex
< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=15552000; includeSubDomains
< 
* Closing connection 0

This test-file-200MB works fine but this larger test-file-512MB isn't working. The receiving Dropbox account has enough space available to store the large file.

Are there any uploads limits? If there are limits, is there another way to upload files to upload large files via the API without the need of an authorization token?

I appreciate if anyone can help me out with this issue.

Cheers!

17 Replies 17

raRaRa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

+1 on this feature request. My product currently supports uploading media files to Google Drive and Google Photos with a temp link, which works great for large files. It's a bit disappointing that this isn't possible with the Dropbox API due to the small file size limit, but hopefully this feature request gets a higher priority if more people need this.

Thanks.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@raRaRa Thanks for the additional feedback and context!

Kirk Schneider
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Has a decision been made regarding this? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Kirk Schneider No, unfortunately I don't have an update on this request.

MARPAT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd also like to put my support behind letting larger files be uploaded through a temporary upload link. Perhaps there are restrictions in place that prevent Dropbox from raising the file upload limit, in which case I would suggest creating another endpoint similar to upload_session and its associated functions, but using the temporary upload link instead of authorization.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@MARPAT Thanks for the feedback!

Matias_FAC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello, will you have any decision made regarding the length of the file? I am starting a new project and I require this functionality but for files larger than 15GB

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Matias_FAC No, I don't have an update on this request.

Need more support?