cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method Create_shared_link_with_settings

Method Create_shared_link_with_settings

terezakloboucek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello folks,

1) Is the method  create_shared_link_with_settings up to date? When I compare the settings with the settings in the front-end, it is not the same. For example the user can disable downloads in the front-end, while via API the user can set up only the viewer/editor/max access.

2) What are the possible combinations of "requested visibility" and "RequestedLinkAccessLevel"? When I use the value "editor" with any possible value in the field "requested visibility", the error "invalid settings" is returned.

Thank you in advance.

Tereza

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The functionality available on the API can sometimes lag behind the functionality in the product. The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer the ability to set a link to disallow downloads, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

2) Apologies for the confusion. The 'RequestedLinkAccessLevel.editor' option for 'SharedLinkSettings.access' isn't supported for standard files. It's meant for cloud-based documents, such as Google Docs listed in Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The functionality available on the API can sometimes lag behind the functionality in the product. The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer the ability to set a link to disallow downloads, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

2) Apologies for the confusion. The 'RequestedLinkAccessLevel.editor' option for 'SharedLinkSettings.access' isn't supported for standard files. It's meant for cloud-based documents, such as Google Docs listed in Dropbox.

terezakloboucek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Greg, thank you very much for your fast reply! If every service/app had support like Dropbox, users would be in heaven.

Regards

Tereza

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API now supports enabling/disabling the download restriction on a shared link via the SharedLinkSettings.allow_download setting on /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings and /2/sharing/modify_shared_link_settings (and corresponding methods in the official SDKs).

You can also check the setting for a shared link via the SharedLinkMetadata.link_permissions.allow_download field, such as returned by /2/sharing/list_shared_links or /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata  (and corresponding methods in the official SDKs).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    terezakloboucek Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?