cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing with dbx.sharing_create_shared_link

File sharing with dbx.sharing_create_shared_link

venkate
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to create a sharable link for files in shared folders with visibility control, using Dropbox API

the code I use is 

shared_link_metadata = dbx.sharing_create_shared_link("/2. Info/02. GEC-W2B-BMD-GEC-003642-20190127_Weekly Commodity Tracker_P227_TemplateR5.xlsx")
shared_link_metadata.url

with this I can get the sharable link with public visibility, However i want to generate links that are only visible to the user with access to the shared folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, note that sharing_create_shared_link is deprecated in favor of sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings.

For this use case, it sounds like you may want to create the link like this:

dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path=path, settings=dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSettings(audience=dropbox.sharing.LinkAudience.no_one))

The "no_one" audience means that the link itself does not grant access; the user would need to have access to the file already, e.g., via the parent shared folder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, note that sharing_create_shared_link is deprecated in favor of sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings.

For this use case, it sounds like you may want to create the link like this:

dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings(path=path, settings=dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSettings(audience=dropbox.sharing.LinkAudience.no_one))

The "no_one" audience means that the link itself does not grant access; the user would need to have access to the file already, e.g., via the parent shared folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?