cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Core 2.0 Compability?

Net Core 2.0 Compability?

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, 

Is the Dropbox API 2 compatible with the NetCore 2.0? Specifically ASP.Net 2.0?

Oskar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After a quick trial run, it appears to me that the 4.9.0 release solves the dependency warnings, works with NetCore 2.1 and also works in non-windows environments. Great! You should make more noise about this.

Big thanks,

Oskar

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Oskar, the official Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK supports .NET Standard 1.1+, so it should work on .NET Core 2.0. (Note that there's a small configuration note in the documentation you may need to follow though.) Please try it out and let us know if you run in to any issues.

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I tried it and it on an empty ASP.Net Core 2.0 project and it did not work. There was some kind of error message of 4.3.0 not being compatible and then "falling back".

It compiles, but does not work.

This is why I ask. I do not have the resources to do further research on this if it doesn't seem to work in the first place - that is why I asked. Have you yourself tried?

Oskar

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I haven't tried ASP.NET Core 2.0 in particular. Can you share the error message you got? Thanks in advance!

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't - I rolled back my project already and did not take any screen shots.

But, it is very simple: 

1) Just create any empty ASP.Net Core project

2) Upgrade it to v 2.0 

3) Add Dropbox.API 4.3.0 via NuGet manager.

You will get a yellow triangle in your dependencies section in Visual Studio saying something about incompatibility and falling back.

The project will build, but any attempt to use the API will fail in a runtime exception.

Oskar

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! We'll look into it.

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I need to specify, that I only use two methods:

-GetSharedLinkMetadataAsync

-GetSharedLinkFileAsync

So, my claim "any attempt..."  might be a slight exaggeration. But these calls failed at least for me.

Oskar

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
There's a server issue that can cause GetSharedLinkFileAsync in particular to fail right now, so that may not be related to the SDK itself.

Also, there are a number of possible expected exceptions from GetSharedLinkMetadataAsync, e.g., if the supplied link is not found, etc.

That being the case, I would recommend testing with something simpler, such as Users.GetCurrentAccountAsync.

I just tried creating a .NET Core 2.0 project in Visual Studio 7.1 for Mac on macOS 10.12.6, and the Dropbox.API library v4.3.0 worked fine with Users.GetCurrentAccountAsync. I also didn't get the yellow triangle warning you mentioned. If are you seeing any issues with the SDK itself, e.g., where even GetCurrentAccountAsync won't work, please let us know what version of Visual Studio and system you're using so we can try to reproduce it.

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Greg, 

I am the one who reported the problem with GetSharedLinkFileAsync so I am acutely aware of the problems with the API that has been going on for over a week now. This is why I am desperately seeking other options, among them upgrading to NetCore 2.0.

I am using the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 for Windows, version 15.3.2.

The exception is low level and about not being able to find relevant assemblies. I.e. the API package doesn't even load.

Oskar

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! We'll work on reproducing that.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    jorge_ricardopc Helpful | Level 5
    Ian A. Explorer | Level 3
    Oskar Helpful | Level 6