cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DropBox Ui does not support the API ???

New DropBox Ui does not support the API ???

omrikaufman
Explorer | Level 4

I notice for a change in the dropbox ui team folder disappear.

i am using the .net SDK and in the new UI the API does not work 

Need Help !!!! ASAP 

i developer at cloudsfer - we are doing data migration for dropbox customers.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It sounds like you may be referring to the new Dropbox "team space" configuration. The Dropbox API does support operating in the team space. Please read the Namespace Guide, as it covers this in detail.

In the .NET SDK in particular, you can set the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header using DropboxClient.WithPathRoot.

omrikaufman
Explorer | Level 4

ok Thanks,

some questions

1. how do  i know in what namespace is the user is?

2. i do i know if the user is with the old dropbox UI or the New UI (namespace)?

3.  how can i get the inforamation on a spesific user and not all the data.

4. and i saw this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34865841/dropbox-http-api-get-files-folders-for-current-tokens-a...

where in the .Net Sdk this issue is takign care off??

5 . if i try to get a list of all the data only for a spesific user  how can retrive that inforamtion?

from the dropbox client or from the dropboxteamclient ??

i am working in cloudsfer.com - we are doing data migration.

6. if i want to support the older version and the new team space version.

how can it be done . how can i deside how to call the api .

for exmple i want that the admin will do action for the users.

in the old version i used to do this 

DropboxTeamClient client = new DropboxTeamClient(request.AccessToken);

** - client.AsMember(request.AsMember).Files.ListFolderAsync(folderId)

7 . so how do i make the same request in the new team space?

the oauth is beeing doen by the admin user.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

1. how do i know in what namespace is the user is?

You can get any particular user's "root information", i.e., what the namespace ID for their member folder is, and that the namespace ID for their root folder is, by calling GetCurrentAccountAsync. The information will be in the returned FullAccount.RootInfo.

2. i do i know if the user is with the old dropbox UI or the New UI (namespace)?

You should check the type of the RootInfo present in that FullAccount.RootInfo above. If it's a UserRootInfo, the user's team does not currently use the team space configuation. If it's TeamRootInfo, the user's team does currently use the team space configuration.

3. how can i get the inforamation on a spesific user and not all the data.

If you're referring to the root namespace information, refer to the answers above.

If you're referring to getting the file/folder listings for any particular user, using the ListFolderAsync and ListFolderContinueAsync methods is the correct way to do so.

4. and i saw this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34865841/dropbox-http-api-get-files-folders-for-current-tokens-a... where in the .Net Sdk this issue is takign care off??

The /team/token/get_authenticated_admin endpoint mentioned there is offered in the .NET SDK as TokenGetAuthenticatedAdminAsync.

5 . if i try to get a list of all the data only for a spesific user how can retrive that inforamtion? from the dropbox client or from the dropboxteamclient ??

Which kind of client you use depends on what kind of API app you have registered. 

If your app is registered for the "Dropbox API", for instance, with the "Full Dropbox" or "App Folder" permission, you would use a DropboxClient directly to connect to the user's account.

If your app is registered for the "Dropbox Business API", for instance, with the "Team Member File Access" permission, you would use a DropboxTeamClient to connect to the team. You can then use DropboxTeamClient.AsMember or DropboxTeamClient.AsAdmin to then get a DropboxClient for a team member or admin to operate on their account in particular.

6. if i want to support the older version and the new team space version. how can it be done . how can i deside how to call the api .

You can determine what kind of configuration the team is using as covered in the answer to question 1 above. Then, you can decide which namespace you want to connect to (as shown in the answer to question 7 below).

7 . so how do i make the same request in the new team space?

You can use the same ListFolderAsync and ListFolderContinueAsync methods to list the contents of any particular namespace. You should use DropboxClient.WithPathRoot to generate a DropboxClient with the desired namespace set as the root. There's an example of using it here.

omrikaufman
Explorer | Level 4

ThanksGreg.

but i have a few more questions.

when i am trying to retrive user list in the past, i used this :

client.Team.MembersListAsync().ConfigureAwait(false);

but now it is different beacuse i am using the dropboxClient and not the dropboxTeamClient.

same question is about the groups and GetItemSecurityAsync.

how to i get them using the dropbox client?

is there a way to use in the team space like in the older version with AsMember() or

AsAdmin.

when is dropbox planning to leave the old UI or it is somthing that will stay for a long time?

do i need to user both ? or how can i use both ?

it there a different way to contact you for help?

here it is taking to long to get an answer.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

when i am trying to retrive user list in the past, i used this :

client.Team.MembersListAsync().ConfigureAwait(false);

but now it is different beacuse i am using the dropboxClient and not the dropboxTeamClient.

same question is about the groups and GetItemSecurityAsync.

how to i get them using the dropbox client?

How you call team methods, such as MembersListAsync and GroupsListAsync has not changed. These continue to be available on DropboxTeamClient only, not DropboxClient.

I don't know what you're referring to by "GetItemSecurityAsync" though, as that doesn't seem to be a method in the .NET SDK.

is there a way to use in the team space like in the older version with AsMember() or

AsAdmin.

The "member file access" feature continues to be available for both configurations, in the .NET SDK via DropboxTeamClient.AsAdmin and DropboxTeamClient.AsMember. These methods allow you to perform actions on behalf of specific admins or members, whether or not the team happens to be using the team space configuration.

when is dropbox planning to leave the old UI or it is somthing that will stay for a long time?

I can't offer a timeline for when the different configurations may be in use. I can only offer help with the Dropbox API itself. You may wish to contact Dropbox Business support for general questions about Dropbox Business itself. 

do i need to user both ? or how can i use both ?

This depends on your app and who will be using it. If your app is meant for use by any arbitrary Dropbox Business team, I recommend supporting both configurations. If it is only meant for your own use or use by specific team(s), you can build it just for whichever configuration(s) are needed.

it there a different way to contact you for help?

We offer a variety of channels for getting help for the Dropbox API, but note that they are all handled by the same Dropbox developer support department and so help will be given at about the same rate across the channels. You can contact Dropbox Business support for general questions about Dropbox Business itself.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    omrikaufman Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?