cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No support for iOS < 9 in Dropbox V2 API for Objective-C???

No support for iOS < 9 in Dropbox V2 API for Objective-C???

Steve L.32
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Objective-C App on iOS simulator fails during authentication using an iOS 8 taget but works with iOS 10:

dyld: Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_SFSafariViewController

I wasn't aware that iOS < 9 was not longer supported, but this appears to be the case as this class arrived in iOS 9.  If true will adjust deployment target accordingly.

Thanks

15 Replies 15

808phone
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, it's really sad. My program has no way to auto download files now due to this change. I was hoping the dropbox app would work somehow but no.

Hank66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

iOS 11, 10, and 9 are backward compatible to V1, aren't they? if not, why not have more than one version of your client so you can stay compatible. Why inconveniencing so many people and potentially lose these customers? You might ask why not upgrade to iOS 9? The answer to that is Apple no longer provide iOS 9 and iOS 10 crashes older phones like the iPhone 4s which is still currently being resold on the market by mainstream phone vendors. Why risk crashing a phone, I tried the upgrade on my iPhone 5 and it bricked it. Apple won't resolve the issue. It is beneficial for Apple to force people to upgrade their hardware for profit, not to the end-user. Environmentally keeping older iPhones active with Dropbox is beneficial to a lot of people who use them in their everyday businesses. There are still millions of iPhone 4S in service to this day and much more for sale. iOS upgrade and those older model phones are guaranteed to break most of them. 

There are over 30 million plus iOS 8 users that no longer have access to Dropbox. There are over 20,000,000 other IOS users below IOS 9. Why would Dropbox want to inconvenience 50 Million plus customers? Not a good business practice. Were they paid off by Apple to do this? Not saying they were, but something is very suspicious here. Having a backward compatible app makes a lot of sense. 

To the CEO of Dropbox, do you care about your users? Just think of all those older IOS, OS X and Windows devices out there. This is a large avenue of current and potentially new customers. Think about this, you won't regret it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed feedback @Hank66! I'm sending this along to the team.

Tantara1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If you add the number of IOS 9.3 users who now are not able to downlaod Dropbox, that is a staggering number of users. Why don't developers realise that a lot of users are not going to update to the latest release if they are happy with what they are using!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback @Tantara1 !

Hank66
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I know this is an extremely late response but Apple skews their data because they are trying force sales of their hardware.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hank66 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Tantara1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?