cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper API: list all docs in a shared folder

Paper API: list all docs in a shared folder

rossmeissl
New member | Level 2

I have a folder in my Paper account that has been shared with a few friends. When I use the `docs/list` endpoint, only the docs that I have either created or accessed (depending on the `filter_by` parameter) are listed. What I want to see is a list of all Paper docs contained in my shared folder. For example, a doc that my friend created that I have never accessed. Is this possible?

11 Replies 11

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, I'm afraid there isn't a way to list all documents, including those that you have neither accessed nor created, via the Paper API, but I'll pass this along as a feature request.

nahtnam
Explorer | Level 4

Any update on this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@nahtnam No, I'm afraid I don't have any news on this feature request.

nahtnam
Explorer | Level 4

Okay, no problem. It is possible to get this information by making several API calls but im afraid ill quickly hit the API limits.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@nahtnam The rate limiting system is somewhat generous, so you generally don't have to worry about that. Even if you do hit the limit, the lockout period is usually just on the scale of minutes. (If you do get a 429 or 503 error, the Retry-After header in the response to see how long to wait.)

rossmeissl
New member | Level 2

@nahtnamHow is it possible?

nahtnam
Explorer | Level 4

@rossmeissl The best way I found to do it is to call this first: https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#paper_docs/list and then for each file call this: https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#paper_docs/get_folder_info and see if it is in the correct folder.

hgkshin
New member | Level 2

@Greg-DB  +1 for this feature 🙂 It looks like the APIs above for paper_docs/list still requires us to have accessed the file before it shows up?

E.g. User A shares a file C with User B. Using the API on User B will not show file C until User B opens file C.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@hgkshin That's correct, there hasn't been any change to this I'm afraid. I'll add your feedback to this feature request.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    csingh-stripe New member | Level 2
    hgkshin New member | Level 2
    nahtnam Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?