cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

Paper API: list all docs in a shared folder

Level 2

I have a folder in my Paper account that has been shared with a few friends. When I use the `docs/list` endpoint, only the docs that I have either created or accessed (depending on the `filter_by` parameter) are listed. What I want to see is a list of all Paper docs contained in my shared folder. For example, a doc that my friend created that I have never accessed. Is this possible?

9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Paper API: list all docs in a shared folder

Dropboxer
No, I'm afraid there isn't a way to list all documents, including those that you have neither accessed nor created, via the Paper API, but I'll pass this along as a feature request.

Level 4

Any update on this?

Dropboxer

@nahtnam No, I'm afraid I don't have any news on this feature request.

Level 4

Okay, no problem. It is possible to get this information by making several API calls but im afraid ill quickly hit the API limits.

Dropboxer

@nahtnam The rate limiting system is somewhat generous, so you generally don't have to worry about that. Even if you do hit the limit, the lockout period is usually just on the scale of minutes. (If you do get a 429 or 503 error, the Retry-After header in the response to see how long to wait.)

Level 2

@nahtnamHow is it possible?

Level 4

@rossmeissl The best way I found to do it is to call this first: https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#paper_docs/list and then for each file call this: https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#paper_docs/get_folder_info and see if it is in the correct folder.

Level 2

@Greg K.  +1 for this feature slightly smiling face It looks like the APIs above for paper_docs/list still requires us to have accessed the file before it shows up?

E.g. User A shares a file C with User B. Using the API on User B will not show file C until User B opens file C.

Dropboxer

@hgkshin That's correct, there hasn't been any change to this I'm afraid. I'll add your feedback to this feature request.

API Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about API Support.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.