cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Parent folders/spaces

Parent folders/spaces

terezakloboucek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello everybody,

I am using your API. While setting up the connection to the API, the team environment is always choosen.

When using the method /2/files/search_v2, when I only set up the name which the file should contain without the path, all files from every "parent" folder is gotten. But when I use method 2/files/list_folder I don't see all "parent" folders, only the "subfolders" of the first folder (Tereza Tester) as you can see on the printscreen below.

After looking for a solution I found out, I need to turn the "parent" folders into spaces to have them returned by the 2/files/list_folder method, is that correct?

Also, when I use other methods like 2/files/download and set up the full path of the file, it is unable to get the file. I can only get the file which is in the first folder (Tereza Tester) and the path to the file can only start with the "subfolders". While with the method /2/files/search_v2, when I want to look for a file in a specified folder, the full path has to be set up otherwise it returns nothing (parent_folder/subfolder/file).

May you help me please?

Thank you in advance.

Tereza

dropbox_folders.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From your screenshot, I see you're using a team with the "team space" configuration.

When listing or downloading files in an account with the team space configuration using /2/files/list_folder[/continue] or /2/files/download, the call will operate in the team member folder by default, and not in the team space.

If you want to access the team space, you'll need to set the "root" for those calls to be the team space. You can find more information on how this works and how to configure those API calls accordingly in the Namespace Guide.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From your screenshot, I see you're using a team with the "team space" configuration.

When listing or downloading files in an account with the team space configuration using /2/files/list_folder[/continue] or /2/files/download, the call will operate in the team member folder by default, and not in the team space.

If you want to access the team space, you'll need to set the "root" for those calls to be the team space. You can find more information on how this works and how to configure those API calls accordingly in the Namespace Guide.

terezakloboucek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply! It helped me a lot.

One more question, my collegue got DEV account to work with so he can set up the API calls. His environment looks like below. And when he makes the 2/files/list_folder call, all folders (team folders and everything else) are retrieved. Why does that happen? Thank you!

dropbox_environment.png

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In this screenshot, I see that your colleague is not using the "team space" configuration, so their team folders are mounted insider their member folder. That means that for them, they will be listed and accessible by default, without configuring the root for the API calls.

terezakloboucek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I see. Thank you very much for your help, I do appreciate it.

Kind regards

Tereza

Need more support?