cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search missing shared folders inconsistently

Search missing shared folders inconsistently

Jack0
New member | Level 2

My Dropbox business Search is missing shared folders inconsistentially. I am using the Dropbox API to search for folders and I am having issues accessing shared folders sometimes. I have a name I look for, and sometimes it will come back as a result in a user's folder that I previously shared with the business user account (The search is done as the business user). This is what should hapen all the time. But this is not the case, in fact it happens to miss it more than correctly find the folder. But I was able to get a few results where it WAS finding the folder.

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There are a few things that may result in missing results from the search functionality on the Dropbox API like this.

First, note that if you are searching for new changes, they may not be returned due to a delay from indexing. If you wait and try again later, it may be returned.

Also, the interface is paginated, so if the search has multiple results to return, you may not get everything back on one page. You need to always check the 'has_more' value returned by /2/files/search_v2 (or 'more' value if using the deprecated /2/files/search) and if it's true, call back to /2/files/search/continue_v2 to get more results.

Additionally, if the search has a large number of results, it's possible they can't all be returned. In that case, you should try a more specific query, or use /2/files/list_folder[/continue] instead. 

If none of that seems to be the issue though and you'd like us to look into this specifically for you, please feel free to open an API ticket with the details.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?