cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Rick, the new shared folder API functionality enables API apps to manage shared folders in linked accounts, but it doesn't resolve the incompatibility between app folders (created for apps with the app folder permission), and shared folders themselves.

Asaf Pinhassi
New member | Level 1

+1

Luca M.11
New member | Level 1

The feature requested by @Daan would definitely be useful in an app I'm building.

It's a Core Data based app, and I use Dropbox to share the database between different users. Would be awesome if the could be done accessing the app folder only, both for convenience and security reasons.

Please consider it 🙂

Luca

Sebastian H.1
New member | Level 1

I'd also appreciate the ability to share app folders without requiring full access. Thanks for considering it.

Chris W.110
New member | Level 1

Our company has recently started a subscription to istock. With istock's dropbox integration it will save any stock images we download to a subfolder within the Apps folder. Since I can't share the apps folder with the other designers and account execs on my team this feature is near worthless. The apps folder needs the ability to be shared. Making it a team folder would be ideal.

As of now I am turning off the istock integration with dropbox until this issue is resolved.

Rick W.2
New member | Level 2

Chris W. -- take a look at app.mover.io I found this to resolve the same issue you are having.  I set it to move from the Dropbox app folder into another Dropbox folder that is shareable.  I have it set to do daily moves but it can be set to do hourly.  It has a lot of flexibility beyond what I am doing with it.  It  has been reliable for me, though I've only used it for about a month so I cannot say that it will not have issues.

Pavlo S.1
New member | Level 1

+1

Mark
Super User II

As of now I am turning off the istock integration with dropbox until this issue is resolved.

Not sure if you are aware, but, iStock wrote that code themselves. It isnt Dropbox's so if it isnt working for you tell them and ask them if they can change it in future releases. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ben R.14
New member | Level 1

+1.

It's very disappointing that no attention seems to have been paid to this yet.  There are a class of apps for which personal linkage is perfect.  But there's another whole class of apps which want to use Dropbox for collaboration, and it's disappointing that this is only possible by granting the app access to the whole of Dropbox.

I'd be very happy if this became a third class of access - i.e. the existing 'appfolder' and 'full dropbox', could stay just as they are, and be joined by a new third class, "app specific folder" or "shareable app folder".

Assuming that the difficulty relates to the fact that any folder shared in Dropbox is shared at the top-level, my suggestion would be that in this new third option, the folder for the app would be created at the top-level, rather than inside the "Apps" folder.  Perhaps it could have a prefix, e.g. if the app is called "MyApp", the folder could be "app_MyApp" or similar.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone! This is something we'd like to offer, but unfortunately there are some significant changes we'd have to make on the backend for this so I can't make any promises.

Need more support?