cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Arnd S.
New member | Level 1

+1

CIRS U.
New member | Level 1

+1

Alexander S.33
New member | Level 2

Also in dire need for this. We are using Dropbox for business, with an internal app to store some data in the Dropbox FS.

Not being able to share this internal folder with the team is tricky. Ideally we'd be able to share sub-folders within the app-directory individually, but only being able to share the whole app directory would also help.

Soren J.
New member | Level 2

How disapointng

Didnt you think before you started

"maybe our users need to be able to share an app folder."

and the answer you guys came up with was

"naaah thats not the point of dropbox.... who wants to share folders?"

Holy macaroni

I made an APP for some customers just to realize it will never work.

PLZ make it soonish

Glenn G.6
New member | Level 1

I try to avoid +1 pile ons, but I think there's some nuance that's been overlooked in the previous explanations on why this is valuable for various use cases. From the very first benefit statement at the top of the homepage:

"Get to all your files from anywhere, on any device, and share them with anyone."

There needs to be a really big asterisk on that now. My most fundamental expectation of Dropbox is that I can share the files saved on it. And it's a completely broken expectation with these 3rd party integrations. All of the ones I've previously used are now basically worthless to me because their value was riding on an assumption that if/when needed I'd be able to easily share the files (e.g., the iStockphoto integration mentioned previously, every markdown editor on my iDevice, anything that uses Dropbox /Apps folder as a replacement for iCloud).

As an integrator I'm also pretty annoyed (to put it mildly) that I've wasted months refining a Dropbox workflow with this glaring omission feature support. As per the best practices of "use the minimum permissions you need", this limitation should be pointed out as a huge flashing caveat in the documentation (https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference). It's not even mentioned once.

😡

Rick W.2
New member | Level 2

I'm going to repeat an earlier post I made.  Although it does not fix he basic problem, it odes provide a work-around that makes it possible to share files from app folders.  I found App Mover (app.mover.io) and have used it for one application where I need to share files.  It allows syncing files between cloud storage folders, even across providers.  I sync from the app folder to another folder in Dropbox.  That folder is outside of the app folder restrictions. For my purposes, having the sync run daily works, but it can run more frequently.  

Luke T.
New member | Level 1

@Gregory

Please can you give us a vague timeline on when we would be able to share an Apps folder with with external parties.

This greatly undermines Dropbox as a cloud-based alternative to FTP.

+ 1.

Rich
Super User II

Please can you give us a vague timeline

Dropbox generally does not provide timelines for upcoming changes. We usually find out about them once they're released.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Luke, Rich is correct, I can't make any promise as to if or when this would be possible. We try not to offer timelines in general, since plans can always change anyway, and we wouldn't want to have offered bad guidance if/when they do.

Tony.
New member | Level 1

We have encountered this issue also. I need to share a folder within the APP folder to sync notes to an iPhone App with a coleague.

Need more support?