cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

There are no immediate plans to change this. App folders (and subfolders) cannot be shared.

But we are certainly tracking this as a feature request.

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

Please do so 🙂
I feel it is very important from a security/privacy standpoint to start supporting this feature.
Moreover, since there is already a rich sharing API in place, it seems like it should not be too hard to make this work on Apps folders too -- right?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

"it should not be too hard to make this work on Apps folders too"

You'd be surprised. 🙂

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

Right 🙂 I understand there are probably many design issues.
Nevertheless, from a security/privacy/user standpoint, it is very important to do. Providing restricted applications is great for this but that can only work if the functionality is rich enough -- otherwise every app developer will go for full access which is detrimental to the user in the end.
Anyway, I hope it is on the todo list and hope it will happen 🙂

Adina Z.1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi
I also need to be able to share folders inside the Apps folder with members of my team. I have dropbox for business. Am I able to do this?

Eric S.58
New member | Level 1

I also need a solution to this problem. I have an application which uses a folder in Apps, that I need to share between three accounts.

What is special about the Apps folder that makes it difficult to share?

Walter H.10
New member | Level 1

I also need this feature. We are using dropbox for business and want to have apps put files in dropbox as a means of distributing data. Ideally the apps would have restricted access and folder sharing could be used.

Jacob G.5
New member | Level 1

Same here. Have an app folder that I'd like to share with someone else. It's a real shame there's no solution for this right now.

Jostein J.
Helpful | Level 5

+1 !

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dave C.39 New member | Level 2
    Aaron C.1 New member | Level 1
    Bill B.9 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?