cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Sharing of folders inside the Apps/ folder

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

I have an application (madoko.net) where users rely on shared folders in dropbox to cooperate.
However, I now need to give the application access to a users' entire dropbox and I would like to make it a restricted application under Apps/Madoko. Unfortunately, currently users are unable to share folders inside the Apps subfolder.
Since the introduction of the recent sharing API I was hoping to see dropbox supporting this too. Is this feature still planned??

Thanks!,
-- Daan

67 Replies 67

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

There are no immediate plans to change this. App folders (and subfolders) cannot be shared.

But we are certainly tracking this as a feature request.

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

Please do so 🙂
I feel it is very important from a security/privacy standpoint to start supporting this feature.
Moreover, since there is already a rich sharing API in place, it seems like it should not be too hard to make this work on Apps folders too -- right?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

"it should not be too hard to make this work on Apps folders too"

You'd be surprised. 🙂

Daan L.
New member | Level 1

Right 🙂 I understand there are probably many design issues.
Nevertheless, from a security/privacy/user standpoint, it is very important to do. Providing restricted applications is great for this but that can only work if the functionality is rich enough -- otherwise every app developer will go for full access which is detrimental to the user in the end.
Anyway, I hope it is on the todo list and hope it will happen 🙂

Adina Z.1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi
I also need to be able to share folders inside the Apps folder with members of my team. I have dropbox for business. Am I able to do this?

Eric S.58
New member | Level 1

I also need a solution to this problem. I have an application which uses a folder in Apps, that I need to share between three accounts.

What is special about the Apps folder that makes it difficult to share?

Walter H.10
New member | Level 1

I also need this feature. We are using dropbox for business and want to have apps put files in dropbox as a means of distributing data. Ideally the apps would have restricted access and folder sharing could be used.

Jacob G.5
New member | Level 1

Same here. Have an app folder that I'd like to share with someone else. It's a real shame there's no solution for this right now.

Jostein J.
Helpful | Level 5

+1 !

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dave C.39 New member | Level 2
    Aaron C.1 New member | Level 1
    Bill B.9 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?