cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Authentication?

Silent Authentication?

kashiftasneemp
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi. I want to use the API in somewhat different way in my game. I want some level files to be downloaded automatically in background when user runs the game, so, that he/ she gets the updated levels. This process will only be a read only on client side.

As per my understanding, there is no silent authorization in background. 

Can I generate an access token for myself and use that in a live app to achieve this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. It is technically possible to connect to just one account. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons.

However if you did go this route, instead of kicking off the authorization flow, you would embed an existing access token for your account and app. Again though, this is not recommended. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. It is technically possible to connect to just one account. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons.

However if you did go this route, instead of kicking off the authorization flow, you would embed an existing access token for your account and app. Again though, this is not recommended. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?