cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds via Dropbox API via GoodSync

Slow upload speeds via Dropbox API via GoodSync

tommy_m
Explorer | Level 3

I'm currently syncing a folder to online-only access via GoodSync using the Dropbox API that they have implemented.  I was forced to do this because using the Dropbox desktop client my files were uploadinging without consistent accurracy.  Files were being placed in incorrect folders and I could not monitor the progress or stop and start it.

GoodSync does a good job of verifying my upload activity, but upload speeds to Dropbox are severely throttled to less than 3MB/s, whereas I could be seeing up to 1GB upload speeds with my connection.

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @tommy_m, thanks for getting in touch with us on the Community for advice! 

Following-up from your description, it looks like you’ve been facing an issue with the upload speed upon using the API & you’ve experienced a syncing inconsistency as you've been uploading using the Dropbox desktop app. 

I could move your request to the API area of the Community if that’s the primary source of your concern, however I’d like to ask you whether you’d prefer using the Dropbox desktop app or the API moving forward. 

Once you get back in touch with me, I'll make sure to address your initial inquiry a bit more efficiently. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@tommy_m The Dropbox API itself doesn't throttle connection speeds for any particular apps or users. Your connection speed to the Dropbox API depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our API servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds, or speeds you see for other applications.

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that is outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason.

tommy_m
Explorer | Level 3

My preference would be to use whatever platform works properly.  Right now neither do.  Though, if the Dropbox app had worked properly in the first place, I would not have thought to use GoodSync.

tommy_m
Explorer | Level 3

I've tried this process on two separate connections, each with a different ISP.  The upload speeds in each case never went above 3 MB/s.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm sorry to hear that trying this with a different ISP didn't help. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to configure the upload speeds you get on your Dropbox account, but you may wish to contact the developer of the app. Depending on how they've implemented the upload process, they may be some optimizations they can make to improve overall upload speed.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    tommy_m Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?