cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync Sync CLI or AppleScript

Smart Sync Sync CLI or AppleScript

ChrisGrahamMast
Helpful | Level 6

When I move an "Online only" file into a "Local" folder, the file stays "Online Only", and the folder changes to a "mixed" state. Is there a way with Smart Sync to force anything I move from an "online only" folder to a "Local" folder to changes the state of the file to local?

We're looking for an automated way, via the command line, an applescript, whatever- that forces files to download to a "local" state when a script runs that moves online only files into a local "to do" folder.

28 Replies 28

AlmightyOatmeal
Helpful | Level 6
+1

I would really like this feature!

I'm running into a problem with the OS X Finder extension so I don't have control over what paths can take advantage of Smart Sync (aside from new directories). Being able to control this from the API would be INVALUABLE to me.

mashdar
New member | Level 2

+1 for smart sync CLI. This would allow us as a company to customize our user syncing along exactly the metrics we care about.

I've felt a bit hamstrung by the lack of tuning Dropbox provides, although it's gotten a bit better lately. If I had a smart sync CLI, we could tune the settings exactly how we want. (E.g., no local .rvt files on tablets.) This would be a big quality of life improvement for our firm.

danFLP
New member | Level 2

Have Dropbox managed to move this request forward?  I’d also find it very useful to automate the process of changing the status of older files into an online status using a script or a built in feature to the GUI interface

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@danFLP No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this request. We appreciate the feedback, and I've sent it along to the team.

fullband
New member | Level 2

+1 for me too.

Daniel_Dosen
Helpful | Level 5

It's been more than a year for this request.  Why don't you all get some open source repositiories and get help from the community for these things?  You can still make sure that any API is as secure or more so than the desktop apps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Daniel_Dosen Thanks for the idea! I'll pass it along.

lters
Helpful | Level 5

Me too. Pro user...

jockej
Helpful | Level 5

Chiming in here - would be amazing to be able to via some API toggle which files should be local/online. RegEX support would be superb, possibly even hidden behind some "advanced features" checkbox so normal users won't accidentaly mess up/get scared.

But a very basic and easily implementable feature would be to add a command line equivalent to right clicking and choosing local/online.

lters
Helpful | Level 5

It would be very helpful. Thinking here of mac and the linux clients.

Need more support?