cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync files between Apps

Sync files between Apps

raRaRa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey.

People can create a real-time slideshow with my Dropbox app, which works fantastic. However, some people are running into an issue where they have another Dropbox app such as SimpleBooth and they can't share or sync the files from that App to my app.

Is there a way to sync/share files between Apps in Dropbox?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! In that case, they won't be able to directly interact with each other, since each one is confined to its own app folder. The user could copy/move files between the two, but that would be a manual process via dropbox.com or a Dropbox client.

And yes, if you instead used a full Dropbox app, it would have access to the full contents of the account, including app folders. There isn't a better way to accomplish this unfortunately.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm going to move this to the API forum for you raRaRa as they will be best placed to help!

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox developer platform, but I'll need some more information. Can you clarify exactly what you're trying to do? For example, is there some code you're already using that isn't working as expected? If so, please share:

- the name and version of the platform and SDK/library you are using
- the full text of the error/any output
- the relevant code snippet(s)

Alternatively, are you asking generally how to share data between apps? This would depend on what permission the two apps are using. For example, if both apps are using the "app folder" permission, neither app would be able to access the other's files. The user could manually move/copy files between the respective app folders though, e.g., via dropbox.com. If there's a different scenario, please elaborate and I'll be happy to help.

raRaRa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Greg,

Yes I'm interested in how the Dropbox user himself can have files from the app SimpleBooth shared to a folder in my app (Slidesome). this is not an API question, but rather how Dropbox users can automatically share files from one app to another.

This question was raised from one of my users. I assume he uses SimpleBooth to upload pictures taken with his photo booth to Dropbox, and then he wants to use my app to display them on a slideshow.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For reference, which app permissions do these apps use?

raRaRa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Greg,

They both use App folder permission.

I'm thinking about creating another Dropbox App that has full access (I assume it has access to the Apps folders, correct?). That way they chould chooes any folder they want.

Please let me know if there's any better method to do this.

Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks! In that case, they won't be able to directly interact with each other, since each one is confined to its own app folder. The user could copy/move files between the two, but that would be a manual process via dropbox.com or a Dropbox client.

And yes, if you instead used a full Dropbox app, it would have access to the full contents of the account, including app folders. There isn't a better way to accomplish this unfortunately.
Need more support?